31%
Design 3
44%
Design 4
6%

Total votes: 16

Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I think my level of expertise has been outdone to give any liable comment. I would say though that its an ambitious project, but you knew that when you took it on. I suggest going for the simplest of the CAD desgins to create, simply to lower the work rate on yourself. Less your either so passionate about the project you will work yourself silly on it, or some kind of sadist...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I'd say go for the one with the lowest wedge. This would make it more difficult to fight against, therefore better to practise against. So working in that logic, I'd go for 2 or 5.

As for the spinner, the idea that anyone would put ther shiny new robot up against a spinner, just for practise, before any event seems a bit silly.
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

One thing I had in mind was that maybe you really dont need to have it as a traningbot for your own. You could order a kit and make your own design! Then we could have a Atomonus antweight series (during ordinary AWS).
Just a little silly thought of me....
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

Thanks Joacim-I was considering that idea (and might be putting it into practice for Josh and anyone else who decides they want one)

Duff-the disc is an optional weapon module, which can be bolted on as and when someone wants, it's not a permanent fixture...
Team 'In Theory'
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

As for the spinner, the idea that anyone would put ther shiny new robot up against a spinner, just for practise, before any event seems a bit silly.

I would.....
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
bobblebot

Post by bobblebot »

Dave26 wrote:

I would.....
I have to say I would too. I think it would be a good thing to be able to test new armour etc between events.
josh

Post by josh »

but unless adam was gunna use a brushless motor u wouldnt kno if it was to stand up to pete and tims bots as well as the other brushless spinners
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

josh wrote:but unless adam was gunna use a brushless motor u wouldnt kno if it was to stand up to pete and tims bots as well as the other brushless spinners
This is the problem with a spinner on a trainer robot. If it's really powerful, you'd wreck your robot pretty quickly. And if its not powerful enough, then there's no point in running against it.

I'd happily run a robot at a spinner after the event, just to see how it stand up. But before an event is just stupid. You could do all kinds of damage. You could break components, or even worse, cause weaknesses that would cause it to fail during an event (which is always the worst).

As this is a training ant, I don't really think a spinner has a place. Surely the whole point of this robot is to practise you driving? If you wanted to test the strength of your robot, there's plenty of ways to do this without an autonomous robot. All the disc will do is push up the weight, and cost.
Adam Hargreaves

Post by Adam Hargreaves »

well, as I say, the spinner bit is removable, so whether you'd choose to or not is up to you...

Having problems with ultrasound at the moment. Using a bit of a bodge, and using the PICAxe 08M's infraout and infrain commands, but using ultrasonic transducers instead of IR. Not entirely sure how well it's gonna work, think it might end up driving into practically anything :(

If anybody has any other suggestions for robot detection (based on the arena having no wall) I'd be happy to hear them.
Team 'In Theory'
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Adam, I have started a thread about sensors in the Autonomous Robots section.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt