Armour

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Bouncy_Bot

Armour

Post by Bouncy_Bot »

okay, i've got a few questions on armour:

1. how thick can antweight armour be? and what sort of pirce would I be looking at to get some?

2. i found this aliminuim on a site that simon gave my (thanks simon) its really cheap but is it worth getting any http://www.mutr.co.uk/prodDetail.aspx?prodID=563

3. Has anyone got any good sites that sell polycarb and aliminuim cheap?

Thanks
Nick, Ambitious Ants

"All you have to do, is go up to somebody's house, ring the bell, and say, 'Trick or Treat!' "
"Are you sure it's legal?"
"Of course it's legal."
"I wouldn't want to be accused of taking part in a rumble."
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

1. Rules limit metal armour to being 1mm or less thick, unless it is part of a weapon (this includes it being a part of a scoop/flipper, etc). Any other materials can be as thick as you like.

2. Depends what grade the ali is, and what thicknesses you get it in, so I can't really help on that one.

3. I get all my polycarb from www.technobots.co.uk, they do ali aswell, but I think the thinnest they do is 1.6mm.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The biggest problem with buying metal or polycarb is the sheer amount you usually have to buy, and the cost of postage. This is sometimes more than the value of the material! And you have to buy enough stuff to make a lifetime's worth of robots, just to meet the minimum order value!

Technobots sell small pieces of polycarb, but they do have a minimum order value (I think it's ?10 which buys quite a lot of 1mm polycarb!).

MUTR are a good source of small quantity stuff and loads of other useful roboty things. I'd suggest having a good look around their site and making up a list of stuff to get to the minimum order value. Check the postage rates too!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Yes, I've got three very large sheets of 1mm polycarbonate. If anyone wants to buy some at the next AWS or RRC, I'll work out a cost price.

Simon
Bouncy_Bot

Post by Bouncy_Bot »

coooooooooool i asked my mum to look for some polycarb at work (she works at a high school see)and she bought home this weird material its about 1.7mm thick not too flexible but strong. She maybe able to get some aliminuim aswell. - its called hi - impact polstirene or summing

Badminton Racket grip make great grip, its cheap aswell only about 99p for a roll.

I hav a huge amount of comp. hardrive disks they are really light, quite small and they might make good wheels, they come in different thickness's.

Thanks for the advice.

If anyone is interested in this stuff pm me
Last edited by Bouncy_Bot on Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nick, Ambitious Ants

"All you have to do, is go up to somebody's house, ring the bell, and say, 'Trick or Treat!' "
"Of course it's legal."
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

who needs armour? Anto hasnt run armour for ages dont plan on any either mind u i dont think anyone can fit armour in 1.2g can they
on the whole u can get away with 1mm poly has that all important flexablility as i can now testify if ur armour cant flex it'll either break, need replacing or need bending back to shape
my heavy Tanto took on the deadly Terrahurtz and ended up having my 5mm mild steel bent and buckled like nothing, however she surived and thats nothing compared to what i did to his poor axe que evil laugh
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I misread that as Anto taking on Terrorhurtz.... :roll:
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

well i have pics of Anto taking on a featherweight (Rampage) and heavyweight (Storm 2) at Rolls Royce last year
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Yes Craig, you would.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Bouncy_Bot

Post by Bouncy_Bot »

cool, my school have got huge sheets of about 4mm polycarb... once i do resistant materials ( :cry: doing boring textiles) i mite be able to get some.

I've also got some 3mm acrylic, which i will deinatley be able to get off school
Nick, Ambitious Ants

"Of course it's legal."