protective layers

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Inertia Labs supply parts aimed at the US market. The US antweight rules are somewhat different to our European rules.
For a start, US ants have a one pound (454g) weight limit. European ants are limited to 150g (225g for a walker).

Our metal armour rule was brought in pretty much to prevent the type of chassis you have there! The reasoning was that if you think about it upside-down, with the cover plate making the bottom, it would make a very boring - but indestructible - pusher. The fear was that every bot would then end up like that and we would take a giant evolutionary step backwards.

Of course, this rule only applies to armour, so if you just use the chassis as a chassis and build other parts of the bot outside it, then there wouldn't be a problem. Armour is a "protective covering". If your chassis doesn't cover anything, then it's not armour!

Hope this helps. If you want to compete in US/Canadian events, be sure to track down the local rules!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Flippt

Post by Flippt »

I think we need to discuss this amour thing.

The thing about making a invincible pusher, is only in theory. And the step backwards in the evolution, is not gonna happend, as there always be someone with a spinner who are willing to take on those metal matchboxes.

Could the committee look at this rule and maybe change it slightly, we dont wanna loose too many newbies, now do we?
Swedish style!
Fight Robots, Not Humans!
patdied

Post by patdied »

Newbies... Like me :D . Proud to be a newb and looks apon others. I think I might be allowed if I didn't put on the top lid or made a copy of the top lid but a plasic version :) .
Last edited by patdied on Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
patdied

Post by patdied »

BeligerAnt wrote:Inertia Labs supply parts aimed at the US market. The US antweight rules are somewhat different to our European rules.
For a start, US ants have a one pound (454g) weight limit. European ants are limited to 150g (225g for a walker).

Our metal armour rule was brought in pretty much to prevent the type of chassis you have there! The reasoning was that if you think about it upside-down, with the cover plate making the bottom, it would make a very boring - but indestructible - pusher. The fear was that every bot would then end up like that and we would take a giant evolutionary step backwards.

Of course, this rule only applies to armour, so if you just use the chassis as a chassis and build other parts of the bot outside it, then there wouldn't be a problem. Armour is a "protective covering". If your chassis doesn't cover anything, then it's not armour!

Hope this helps. If you want to compete in US/Canadian events, be sure to track down the local rules!
Thanks that did help! I don't think there are any Canadian events. I never heard of one, they all are US and UK.
ewan

Post by ewan »

Look around a bit more!

http://www.kilobots.com/index.htm

Might be just what you're after... You're located in Canada no? Not much chance you'd be competing here in the UK so their forums will likely be more relevent to whatever you end up building.
patdied

Post by patdied »

ewan wrote:Look around a bit more!

http://www.kilobots.com/index.htm

Might be just what you're after... You're located in Canada no? Not much chance you'd be competing here in the UK so their forums will likely be more relevent to whatever you end up building.
I searched everywhere for events in Canada and I never found one. Thanks, now I know. Yea, what are the chances of me competing in UK or at Saskatoon (the place you gave me). They both are pritty far away from where I live. I might aswell make my own arena and invite antweight fans to come over. There is still one problem :( .

Many people around my area don't have the time or have the money to make a robot . I tried convening them but it never works :cry: .