ESCs and channel mixing

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Wigs

ESCs and channel mixing

Post by Wigs »

Hi,

Hope this is the correct place, sorry if not. Newbie to Antweights, did build a 6.7kg bot but never found anywhere to fight it.

I have 2 Fingertech Tiny ESC v2 and I wish to use them to get Tank style steering from one control stick. Is it possible to do this without adding in the Fingertech TinyMixer ?

If it is please tell me how, it's hurting my head.

Any help at all very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
MarkR

Re: ESCs and channel mixing

Post by MarkR »

If the ESC doesn't have mixing built-in (if they are only one channel each, then they don't, there is nothing to mix) then either the transmitter or receiver will need to do mixing.

I think that some of the fancier TXs can be programmed to do tank-mixing, but I don't have such a transmitter. I've programmed my own speed controller to do its own tank-mixing.

I'm not sure about the receivers, maybe some can be reflashed with parameters etc, to do mixing on there. Ideas, anyone?
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I always mix on my tx (devo7e). It does depend on whether you've got a tx that can do mixing, but if you do then it's easy. What transmitter do you have?
I've also never used fingertech stuff, but an Esc is an Esc, right?
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

my flysky fs-i6 has 3 mixes you can make, but i find turning on the elevon setting has the perfect mix built in... in that setting (default is 50% ch1 and ch2) you can tweak this from -100 to 100% if things are backwards, ie steering left makes you steer right, then change one channel (usually ch1 for me but this can be either depending in how you set it up) into the negative end which reverses it... easiest mixing ever
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Thanks everyone,

You have given me options. I can't mix on my current transmitter but need another anyway.I didn't know they could do that so that's a great help. So any excuse to buy robotty bits is a good one.

I also found some specs that if I understand them correctly mean the TinyESC can mix.

So 2 options to explore.

Thanks again.
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I'm not entirely sure how flashing an Esc works? If an Esc is programmed to do mixing, then it does it's own mixing. If it isn't, it doesn't. I'm afraid I can't give you any advice on how to go about changing that on an Esc - I've always thought of them as one or the other and it's unchangeable Once the purchase is made.
I do highly recommend the Devo7e as a cheap and versatile tx btw. Super easy to mod as well (though I haven't played with that)
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Wigs

Post by Wigs »

Thanks Lima

You are correct, tried last night and they dont mix. In my ignorance i misunderstood some Fingertech info and had a glimmer of hope that they could mix.Thanks for the tip on the transmitter though, sounds ideal will take a look later.

Cheers
Adam

Team Optimism
Not the face
Armoured "thing"
Hopper
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

Yep, there's no mixing on a FT tinyesc, it's a single channel esc so there isn't anything to mix. Some dual esc's come with mixing, some don't, and some can be switched between mixing and not mixing.

As the others have said the best option would be to get a transmitter that supports mixing, like LimaHotel I also use a Devo 7e and would recommend it as a good cheap transmitter, but there are many suitable options out there.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker