MG90 servos

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

LimaHotel

MG90 servos

Post by LimaHotel »

Hey guys, I'm just curious about MG90s. I know a few of you use them, and I'm not entirely clear on... what they are? By which I mean does MG90 refer to the MG90s, or the MG90d, or some other servo? And how important is it to find the genuine TowerPro ones?
My other concern is they're only rated from 4.8-6v - would direct 2s power melt them?
From my understanding of why people like MG90s, it's because they're light (13.4g), cheap, and reliable. Have I understood this correctly?
Cheers guys,
Luke
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Re: MG90 servos

Post by Kyro »

my experience with mg90's is that yes, they are light cheap and reliable... i have over volted a few with mixed results... nothing fried but a few get very jittery other work fine...

the importance of genuine ones is overall build quality and some fakes have a plastic gear from the motor to the first metal gear...

i have never had a fake or genuine one fail though... i used one for the grab on mantis and i use its bigger brother the mg92b for all my lifters... not the fastest things in the world but they have good power (3.5kg/cm)

fyi, the mg90 that dusty had for both of its competitions was previously used as a gear selector on one of my crawlers and that went through water, wet mud, dry dusty mud, snow and just about anything else you could imagine... only changed it out for a mg92b for power... recycled the mg90 into mantis's grab where its still going strong after a good 2 years of abuse...

so im a fan of towerpro based on reliability alone and is the reason i went for the mg92b after the fun i had with the turnigy crap and all breaking...

as for the s and d variants, i know that the d is a digital version, unsure of what the s stands for though...

never used the d version but i believe the mg90 and the s are the same (i couldn't work out any difference) but there may be something
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Would running them directly on 2s work? Ive used them for various weapons and self righting mechanisms before but only ever on 5V.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

according to my research, the mg90 is better than the s version... the s has 1.8kg on 5v and 2.2kg on 6v where as the 90 has 2.2kg at 5v and 2.5kg at 6v... the s however is barely faster than the 90 by about .01... but, theres a lot of contradictory information... this seems to be the most common info though so take with a pinch of salt...

as for direct off 2s, as i mentioned i have done so... some are jittery, some are fine but never had one burn out... but then I have only done this briefly with probably 5 of them... 2 were fine, rest were jittery... i had maybe 2 hours of running the non jittery ones from 2s before i upgraded the servo's so i cant say how long they will last direct from 2s...

so try at your own risk... my experience could be the norm or it could be lucky...

good luck
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Cheers. MG90 are cheap so i'll try it and see if it works.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Where's the best place to acquire mg90 servos then? Hobbyking, BangGood, Aliexpress? EBay???
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i buy my servo's exclusively from servoshop.co.uk as they only sell genuine servo's... anything from other sites runs the risk of being fake...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I can't find any MG90 servos on Servo Shop? Just the S and D variants.
Am I missing something?
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i too cannot find the mg90... however the "d" version appears to have better specs than the mg90 and no mention of it being digital... what did you need them for? would the d version not be enough?
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I didn't need them for anything in particular, it's more a case of I've heard people talk about them and I was curious as to exactly what they were.