Pneumatic antweight.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Pneumatic antweight.

Post by Hogi »

Hi guys. Could someone please let me know what parts I need to get a basic pneumatic system running? As far as I know I need a gas tank of some sort, a switch, some tubing and a ram. I could be missing a few things but please let me know. I was planning on using mostly lego components, are these generally good enough? Thanks.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Re: Pneumatic antweight.

Post by peterwaller »

I think that about covers it but there are various switches and rams.
The switches can be electrically operated or mechanically.
The former need some sort of switched output from the controller and the mechanical ones need a small servo to operate them.
You need to make sure that in the off position the switch allows the air to escape from the ram.
Rams can be double acting that means you feed pressure in one end to operate and the into the other to return it which adds complication and uses twice as much air. You are better off with a single action with spring return. People have successfully used lego rams in the past.
Hope this helps pneumatics aren't easy but can be great.
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Thanks Peter. I think the lego ones are mechanical so I was just going to use an Mg 90 servo to operate the switch. I think I also need some way of pumping it up. For that I was going to use a check valve. I have a couple of those lying around as well as a few T connectors. What are people using for gas cannisters?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i think i heard that someone was using mini lynx deodrant cans as a pre-charged tank... i could be wrong though...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I saw a thing a while ago about someone repurposing nos cannisters? The little ones you get for whipping cream. I think they may be a touch heavy for an ant though
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I have some spare gas bottles from my bb gun so i'll probably use one of them. The aim of this project is to make a crusher that can actually crush things rather than just holding them.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

haz

Post by haz »

Yo!
Since I've been recently mucking about with pneumatics I'll add my 2p

In one of my ants ( flipper) I use a 20ml breath freshener can after a 35ml travel deodorant canister proved too heavy and cumbersome.

See: big lumpy lad,
http://imgur.com/y39IjFB
Newer tanks:
https://i.imgur.com/itNo5P7.jpg

Https://youtu.be/FGvXOxiB6eU

I also used a small nos/c02 cannister for my spikeobot. You can probably pick these up on eBay, or if you live in a slightly rough area they'll be on the ground as kids like to huff them :roll:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... composer=0

They're heavy and Don't hold much but they were the perfect form factor for my design so they kinda made sense to me.

I'd go with the breath fresheners as they're about £1 each and with a dutiful gob of epoxy (don't cheap out here!) They hold fine.

Cheers!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

yeah the ones kids huff are nitrous oxide (laughing gas or gas and air at the dentist or go fast gas for your car) its usually sold as whipped cream chargers... if purchasing any gas cartridges, id ensure they are co2 and not nitrous as i think no2 may be flammable (if fast and furious is anything to be believed)
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

I meant the cartridges had been modified for refilling - the flipper hadn't been built to run off nos!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i was replying to the previous comment...

i had missed yours until i read back...

im away in Germany and only really checking the forum quickly when i get a spare minute so your comment must have slipped past in my rush...
Team Rocket
Io(4wd flipper)