Team Pushover's Ants Build Log.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Shakey

Re: Team Pushover's Ants Build Log.

Post by Shakey »

Electronics dying is not all about if it 'smokes' or not. Reverse polarity is normally an instant death for electronics regardless of if smoke is lost or not, especially when microcontrollers and FETs come into play. A NanoTwo that's had power applied in reverse polarity is likely gone.

EDIT: To add the damage will often happen before a fuse has time to act. Sounds like the reverse polarity messed up the motor driver chip itself.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

I thought that might be the case, I was clinging on to my optimism as hard as I could, thanks for clearing that up Shakey, fears confirmed... shopping time!
Team Pushover - worse at this than you are!
Pullover, Wej, The Ridic-U-Loch-Ness Monster (AW)
Leopold (BW)
Pushover (1/2 of at least) (FW)
voorsk

Post by voorsk »

weirdly, i did the same thing to a dasmikro, and it survived!

and then it survived normal polarity, which is just as risky. :P
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Yeah, I did a dasmikro which is why I thought you might be okay.
Apologies for the false hope :/
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

voorsk wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:00 am and then it survived normal polarity, which is just as risky. :P
I, and many others, don't believe you :P in fairness my dasmikro was tough as all hell until the pads fell off, I was only connecting the battery and it died, shrink wrap off and the positive terminal was flapping about.
LimaHotel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:09 am Yeah, I did a dasmikro which is why I thought you might be okay.
Apologies for the false hope :/
Ah not your fault, I was ever hopeful anyway, and I'm the fool who wired it up wrong, because I fitted it in and soldered it up below the motor (had to use tweezers to hold it all together) I identified the wire, tinned it, lay the robot down, then grabbed the wrong one... I even remember doing it...
Leopold (BW)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Pads falling off the dasmikros isn't always their death - you can solder directly to the last component, though that isn't always easy.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i guess reversing polarity to an esc is something i have to look forward to... not done it so far closest thing is blowing a cap on a receiver accidentally running a 2s directly into it... weird thing is, cap is no longer in the board but its still working fine and has been for ages...

i did however manage to set fire to a servo yesterday (met a couple builders and had a small event) i managed to win with a 4wd flipper with a dead flipper and place 3rd with another 4wd flipper with a dead flipper and a rear motor that had desoldered... the bot that won was the one which caught fire... i really do not reccommend the turnigy servo's i was using Image
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
Retroman

Post by Retroman »

LimaHotel wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:41 am Pads falling off the dasmikros isn't always their death - you can solder directly to the last component, though that isn't always easy.
Yeah I've still got it in my toolbox, I've been fancying trying it actually, but I need a day my hands don't shake too badly I think... and possibly a smaller tip for my iron.

And if I'm honest, it's my first esc bake off, don't fancy doing it again any time soon either... that servos pretty scary though! A ice had reasonable luck with some corona servos once I managed to reduce the effect of their noise, vibrates on the good result s despite not working though.
Leopold (BW)