Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

LimaHotel

Re: A Hotel, constructed of Limas, for Ants: A Build Diary

Post by LimaHotel »

A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

So Jiggy didn't actually fit in the box. Damn.
By swapping his tail out for a thicker one and adding a bracket to the left corner, I can now bend the tail round into this holding bracket. First time I lift the teeth, the tail pops down. Obviously I'm gonna be getting through tails as this'll fatigue them, but they're only offcuts of .5mm polycarb and it's one m2 bolt and a bit of wire to swap them out.
Woo!
https://youtu.be/H4wIG-b3mV0
Last edited by LimaHotel on Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Self righting update on Jiggy.
https://youtu.be/thWHMrITMW8
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Looks great, perhaps remove the "read warning before use" label from the lipo :)

Mark
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

thats liturally the first thing i do... that and shell it...
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Hahaha it is gone now :D
... Shell... The Lipo...
*KABOOM*
Ye. I'm probably being paranoid, but the idea of removing anything from the battery itself scares me :/
Besides, how much do you actually save by shelling a lipo?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I wasn't suggesting removing the protective film from the pack, just the warning label on the lead :)

I did peel the labels off one of my packs because I was trying to fit it into a very slim space (actually rather stupidly, I bought larger packs than necessary, 300mAh). But not the film or anything else.

I did consider modifying the pack into a flat form factor (from the "brick" 300mah 2S) but that seemed a little risky.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Sparks fly from the dremel as I grab some (probably rubbish) steel off an old computer table, and the room stinks of solder as I finish the brain for Key mk 2. I'm also gonna put Key's Key on a diet - there's a lot of metal there that could be lost. Hoping to be driving Key the Second within the next few days, and the bustophedons I want for Pushbot should arrive this Friday (theoretically). Wheels... Grrrr. I'm sure that order's been lost - marked as leaving country of origin over a month ago, nothing since. I'm trying to get access to the 3d printers at the secondary school I volunteer at to print off some hubs for Lego tyres though, and I might print some rims & molds too. Hoping to have things ready for the 5th, for that little back garden event Kyro advertised. It's a long way for something so small for sure, but totally worth it as an excuse to visit friends in the area!
At least Jiggy is ready though!
(I say that - he has a Problem whereby the m3 bolts that hold the grabber in place unscrew. Loosening is fine - the bolts are long enough that the nuts can't actually come off - there isn't room. So my thoughts on fixing it are blob of Gluegun over the back of each m3 so they can't slide outwards. Which isn't ideal. Really, some nylock m3 bolts would be good - except I don't know if they come narrow enough to fit in the gap available. Maybe I should just soak the whole thing in loctite?)
Last edited by LimaHotel on Wed May 01, 2019 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

i will probably have some wheels you can have.

ordered some "pololu 32mm" wheels from ebay but what came were the fake 34mm pololu copies...

they dont have the best grip in the world but they have done me pretty well at antfreeze and aws...

if they dont want me to send them back you can have some... if they do, your welcome to some slightly used ones after i get some real pololu's

they are good enough to use but real pololu's are better
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Just did a test drive of Key Grip's chassis to make sure I hadn't shorted anything cramming it all in, and after about 20 seconds of driving FLASH SMOKE
I had my first Lipo fire! :D
In seriousness though, that wasn't great. Turning it off stopped the fire, but there was spark and smoke and bright coming from inside the lipo. I'd upload a picture of a torched lipo, except it looks totally fine? I'm almost tempted to take it outside and deliberately short it so it can finish incinerating itself.
I won't, but the temptation is there.
Okay. How do I safely dispose of a popped lipo?