Part: SX1308 boost converter module

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Part: SX1308 boost converter module

Post by MarkR »

Hi all,

These are a new(ish) module from Aliexpress, Ebay and all the usual suspects. They are very cheap, you can search for pictures etc.

It is a module which takes an input of 3-10 volts, say, and outputs more volts with a claimed 2A max current (this obviously depends on how much boosting is needed).

I have tested it with modest currents (mostly < 1A) and it seems good. I am thoroughly impressed and it can be very useful.

Notes:

1. Do not connect it to a supply of >5v before setting the output voltage. Output voltage should never be less than input.
2. The blue pot is like a 20x turn pot or something, it needs many anticlockwise turns before the voltage starts rising (it is not broken!)

The blue pot is quite tall (maybe ~ 10mm or something) which could make it inconvenient to fit in an antweight robot. But once the voltage is set, it's possible to remove the pot and replace by a pair of SMD resistors. I did this last night and it works a treat.

I'm also checking if it's possible to replace the inductor with a lower profile one, because it's ~5mm high.

This module is much better than the similar older MT3608-based modules - it's a lot smaller and gives just as much power. Most of the advantage comes from the pot standing up vertically (so it can be replaced easily) which reduces the footprint.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
MarkR

Re: Part: SX1308 boost converter module

Post by MarkR »

Oh yes- I think the part the Chinese resellers say about "short circuit protection" is a massive lie. It does not; if you short-circuit it you're putting a short across the inductor and diode, which are passive parts and don't have any protection in.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Forgive my ignorance on this. Could I use this module to drive my bot of a 1 cell lipo. Thinking of wight saving on batteries.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

I think, in principle, yes.

The module might weigh more than another cell and it is less than 100% efficient (worse at lower input voltage)

I don't have a scale which can accurately measure the weight of the module, but I guess it's somewhere around 4g, maybe.

It really depends on whether the current draw is low enough. I guess that if you don't have a spinning weapon, you might be ok. Doing a search (on this forum) suggested that an old Antweight called "Pop!" used a boost module to generate 12v for a solenoid valve for a pneumatic flipper.

On Betsie I used a 2S pack and only boost the power for the flipper motor.