Stacking components?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mackemforever

Stacking components?

Post by mackemforever »

Right now I'm in the process of putting together a beater spinner. I've tested everything, wired it all up, all of the electrics work absolutely fine. Now all that's left is to build the body for it.

The problem I'm having with designing the body is that I don't have a lot of weight to work with, and making it big enough for everything without it being so thin it's weak is proving tricky.

My question then is pretty simple, is there any problem with stacking various components? If I could stack the drive & weapon ESC on top of one another that would help the issue greatly. Provided both were properly insulated (most likely going to use a bit of heat shrink tubing), would this cause any issues?
GeorgeR

Re: Stacking components?

Post by GeorgeR »

Stacking is not a problem at all, as long as they are electrically insulated. The electronics on both my spinners are so tightly packed it can be hard to jam on the top of the robot!
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Matt

Re: Stacking components?

Post by Matt »

Make sure it is all properly insulated, or you risk a short circuit. if you are using a separate receiver and controller, then trim the antenna as this can result in a short circuit. With my spinner I have to fit the battery in between the receiver and speed controller, and tape them back to stop them hitting the motor. But staking components should be fine if it is all insulated enough. Enough current can melt heat shrink so even if you have put heat shrink on, take care and check before every fight.