Best/cheapest way of producing this part?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

mackemforever

Best/cheapest way of producing this part?

Post by mackemforever »

So I'm in the process of building an antweight beater spinner. I've got the components, I've designed and printed the chassis and it all looks like it should work (although I'm yet to wire it all up and test!) however the one area I'm stuck on is the bar itself.

I've got a design that should do fine but the problem is I don't know what the best way to get it manufactured is. In my head it would either be 3D steel printed or CNC machined but it seems like every quote I've had for either has been obscene, we're talking hundreds of pounds which I'm not daft enough to spend on an antweight!

Is there an option that I'm missing, or is there a simpler way to design my weapon bar that would make it cheaper to produce?

I've attached an image and an STL file if anybody wants to look at it to give me advice.

Thanks.

https://i.imgur.com/pK1lQDX.jpg

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bp...Z7Uf2DB0fAXkcB
haz

Re: Best/cheapest way of producing this part?

Post by haz »

Yo!

Jim did almost exactly that design 3d printed in steel and it was really cool. Until it hit something then it bent. Jury is out on 3dp weapons.

CNC milling is your best bet. I think that part can be done in 3 setups. £100 in a decent grade of steel/hardox is an unfortunately fair cost - people may do it cheaper but that is *fair* including material costs, stock cutting and machining

What I'd do is get a blank lasercut/waterjet cut and then either carefully drill the holes by hand or have someone manually machine it post cutting. Cut costs in half at least.

What I did for mine was just manually machine it from thick aluminium. Took about half an hour and cost dear all. Maybes look to see if there are any maker spaces/shed machinists who will help you out?

GeorgeR

Re: Best/cheapest way of producing this part?

Post by GeorgeR »

If your slightly crazy and don't mind spending a fair bit of time it is possible to make something like that by hand. Here's my beater for Valkyrie, made with nothing more than a hacksaw, a hand drill, and a couple of files....

Obviously it took a fair bit of work, but I didn't want to spend much, and didn't have access to a mill, so I thought why not give it a go?
Total cost was less than £10, and it's been very successful so far.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker