Team Pompidou First Antweight Build/Questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: Team Pompidou First Antweight Build/Questions

Post by MarkR »

You don't need to connect more than one power / gnd wire from the rx to the Dasmikro. So those extra wires can be cut off.

Yes the soldering is a mess, and is likely to fail unless you tidy it up a bit. Check that you don't have any shorts. Maybe a bit of hot glue wouldn't go amiss, the Dasmikro pads lift *very* easily with mechanical loads.

But it looks fundamentally ok.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Okay , yes it is a bit of a mess aha , so the connection from the esc to rx which wires do i not need ? I have changed the battery to see if anything would happen and now the rx is glowing red sometimes , no sign of the motors moving now though.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

The leads from the RX to Dasmikro are Servo leads, they're designed for servos, so they have power. In the case of the Dasmikro, power is fed back from its regulator (aka BEC) to the receiver. So only one set needs to be connected, they're internally connected together in the RX anyway. The 2nd channel (whichever one it is) only needs the servo pulses (signal) wire connected.

I hope that makes some sense.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Hang on, I should have a photo of a soldered dasmikro somewhere...
Sorry it's not the clearest, but you can see that I've only bothered connecting one set of power leads from the output. Hope this helps?
And yeah I know. My soldering isn't the cleanest either *facepalm*
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Is this a bit clearer?

The four wires leading to the Rx are
Brown (Ch1 - Gnd)
Red (Ch1 - Vcc)
Orange (Ch1 - Signal)
Orange (Ch2 - Signal)

Don't worry - we've all been there!
Stuart (Tony's dad)
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Thanks for the help , I did de solder the wires to the receiver , I cut the wires slightly to have the wires nice and clean at the end and soldered it back on to the ESC , but I had the same sort of problem , the wheels did move a little bit and the red light came on the Rx , I think I have damaged the Dasmikro with the amount of soldering I had done on it so I gave up and ordered a different ESC this one , https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bidirectiona ... 4023576343
it will be much more easy to set up I imagine!
Kyro

Post by Kyro »

yes these esc's are good.

i am yet to have a problem with one.

the capacitor can be removed to save a little size and weight...

the only issue i have found is placement as the wires exit on both sides of it... this can be fixed by desoldering the wires on one side and resoldering in the opposite orientation, but if you would rather leave it be then just plan a little extra space either side for the wires to sit happily...

i am still using each and every one i have purchased and as i mentioned, they have all behaved themselves well... i have started using 2 bustophedon esc's as stacked, they are smaller and all wires exit on one side but
they do weigh a little more (around 13g after i have shortened the wires and hooked them together) and i do my mixing via my transmitter... you can find these cheaper from china if you are willing to wait...

there are better, smaller, lighter esc's available but i would say that these are the best bang for your buck by a decent margin
Team Rocket
Trappist 1(4wd grab 'n' lift)
Ton 618 (4wd expanding bot)
Io(4wd flipper)
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

It's worth soldering the DasMikro up again as cleanly as you can, taking a video of it not working (and hosting it unlisted on youtube or something), and then sending it to Bangood. If you've kept the original packaging, they're very good with refunds in my experience.
I can't view the picture you hosted on Imgur (it just links me to Imgur?), but I'd be surprised if you've actually done any damage to the DasMikro. It is entirely possible (or probable even) that you've just been unfortunate and been sent a dud.
Out of curiosity, did you get the DasMikro with or without mixing? I realise my limited experience is not a suitably large sample set, but I've only ever had success with the no built in mixing ones (6 ordered in 2 batches of 3) and only ever had failure with the built in mixing ones (4 ordered in 2 batches of 2).
Of course, that esc you've ordered for yourself now is significantly more rugged and resilient, so if you can find the weight for it, it is a better choice. Following in Kyro's example, I'm also playing with Bustophedons and they are heavy, but feel really solid.
Another thing I'm playing with is servo boards. I've got 10 of the green pcb domon servo boards (more info can be found in the dedicated topic) and whilst I don't trust them with more than 1 N20, for 2WD antweights they seem perfectly capable, dirt cheap, and practically weightless!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Okay so I soldered the new ESC to the motors and switch just about but the soldering looks fine , I then turned on the switch the ESC beeped and that's it , the motors are not moving when on and the Rx receiver doesn't light red . I then thought that maybe it will move when I try binding it to my controller (devo7) but then I don't think I binded it properly, but now the controller is not connecting to my other robot figgy , I released I should have loaded up a new one and then binded.
Anyone I have two questions , why can't I bind figgy back to the controller? and will my new robot work when I bind it to the controller? I think one of the problems why they weren't binding was because the battery's in my controller were running out , next time I try I will add new battery's.
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Okay I got figgy binded back to the controller.Yesterday the Rx receiver went red for a little bit and then it went off and now it's not going red again , strange . Do you think my Rx receiver is broken or is it a problem form somewhere else , soldering to the motors ( it's alright )? Or is the ESC broken I'm not sure (although power gets to it ) so should I order a new ESC ?