Team Pompidou First Antweight Build/Questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

TeamPompidou

Team Pompidou First Antweight Build/Questions

Post by TeamPompidou »

Hi all! , I am new to the forums and antweights ,so im slighty unsure about a few thing.However i have entered two events with my robot Figgy (Red ,Front Hinge Flipper) , a custom bot made by Shakey.
Im now planning to make my own antweight , which will be a 2 wheel drive pusher robot. I am going to base my insides of the robot on Figgy. So i want to use the same components(So i can basically copy it!) . I am still unsure with exactly what i need . although i have a rough idea. I have made a word document with links to the parts i think i will need. Which reads the following:

Antweight:
ESC: https://banggood.com/2S6A-Micro-Dual-Bi ... rehouse=CN (£13.01, Not connected) or https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwov3dualesc/ (Out of Stock, £37.99 Connected Already, Includes Switch)

Motors: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DC-6V-500RPM ... Sw~O1a4sxx (£2.79) and also https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/motor ... pack-of-2/ (£3.49)

Wheels: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/30mm-toughhub-wheels/ (£3.99)

Battery: https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nan ... -5pcs.html (£10.31, Pack of 5)

Chassis/Armour: Unsure –Potentially http://plasticsheets.com/polycarbonate- ... SbEALw_wcB (£1.50) cardboard for extra armour and for the prototype.

Charger: 2s/3s basic charger (Already got)

Transmitter: Devo 7e with Deviation firmware (Already got)
(Need soldering iron kit)

If someone could look over this and check that they are the right parts i will need before ordering the parts. I am unsure where to find a switch for the robot so could someone provide a link of where i could find one please.
Another question is do i need an aerial for the robot to connect to the Transmitter and where is the best place to find this.

I will probably post more updates on my robot as i start to build it in the future but for now just want to make sure this is the right stuff i need! :D

Help would be very appreciated. Many thanks Dylan-TeamPompidou!
Last edited by TeamPompidou on Sat May 04, 2019 7:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
voorsk

Re: Parts For First Time Antweight Build

Post by voorsk »

don't forget a receiver if you get a dasmikro ESC. it's built into the nanotwo, so you don't need one with that. hobbyking sell a tiny orangerx one that's good (https://hobbyking.com/en_us/orangerx-r6 ... tore=en_us). is that what you meant by aerial? (you won't need an actual aerial)

I'd avoid eBay for motors, but that's just personal experience. the ones i bought were slower than stated, and really weak.
Team BLEEP Suspicious Houmous / Sprouting Potato / Fermented Melon / Black Carrot
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

So the ESC will need a receiver? And I would have to solder that on! Im basically trying to make the nonotwo kit (because it's out of stock!)
Where is the best place to get motors then? Would you say get them of Nuts and Bolts , now they have them in stock , or somewhere else?
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

You need a receiver module with the Dasmikro. Shakey's nanotwo, I understand, has a receiver built-in.

A switch is optional and can be put inline in the battery lead from the ESC.

It will all require some soldering and perhaps some wires (the Dasmikro comes with some wires which may be appropriate, but you will probably need to shorten them, strip them and possibly replace them).

My main problem with the Dasmikro - it is difficult to solder and easy to damage. The Dasmikro uses surface mount pads for the leads (battery, motors, rx, rx power) - these are mechanically weak and easy to screw up. If you put too much mechanical stress then the pads will lift off the board and destroy everything (possibly in spectacular smokey fashion)

It might be easier for a newbie to use two separate ESC modules (for left and right) which have a pin-through-hole mounting.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Thanks for the Help!
I have never soldered before so the Dasmikro might not be the best to use if its hard to solder! Could you link me to the two separate ESC modules that you would recommend?
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Quick update because I kind of delayed my build :roll: . And I don't really know why but I'm back into it again now from the last two events with figgy. I've actually got a few parts of the list and the rest is on its way! What I also added to the list because I forgot about them was a receiver the lemon Rx receiver (with pins) because I'll find that easier . I've never soldered before ! My friend says he knows how to solder so I can do it with him and that will teach me how to do it.
In terms of the body of the robot , I was kindly given a basic 3d printed body for a flipper. So I might actually make a flipper now ! Which would mean I would need to order a servo. If any one has any suggestions for a good servo I could use that would be great.
This page will probably turn into a build diary now because I'm really excited and commited to make my own robot. Plus I'll get more fights!
Dylan , Team Pompidou
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Servos... you've picked an unfortunate time friend. The BEST servo for antweight flippers has recently gone out of production, which is sad.
For servos you want to make sure it has enough torque (I dunno how much enough is - the Pink servo had 3.7kg which was easily enough) and that it's FAST (The pink servo had a 60 degree rotation of 0.05 seconds, way faster than anything else I've found).
The DMC809 seems to be Turnigy's replacement for the fabled TGY-306G-HV. It's half a gram lighter (19.5g), has a touch more torque (3.8kg) but is slower. With 0.07 seconds for a 60 degree rotation, it's still a FAST servo, but it's no Pink.
It's also a touch on the costly side, but cheaper than the Pink was. I get servos from Hobbyking.
Soldering... oooooh. A nice iron makes things a hell of a lot easier. My £10 B&Q iron is HORRIBLE, but I make do. You gotta be careful with the DasMikros as I'm sure you know. I've had no problems with them (Besides one pad refusing to accept solder but I just used gluegun there shhhhhh it's perfectly fine) but I know that the pads can have a tendency to fall off and they can also have a tendency to combust.
Again, I have 3 dasmikros and I haven't had a single issue. Don't overheat the pads, don't use excessive solder, keep a steady hand and you should be fine.
I haven't tried using pinless Lemons yet, but I intend to. If you can solder up a Dasmikro, a Lemon will be easy.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
TeamPompidou

Team Pompidou First Antweight Build

Post by TeamPompidou »

Thanks , I was unsure on servos because I've seen really cheap one for around £5 and then other for £15 , I'm guessing I want the more expensive ones if I want a good flipper. I'll probably get the one you said.
I'm Still waiting for the Dasmikro and the motors to come.
I'll have to check how good my friends soldering iron is , otherwise I'll get my own one . Once he's taught me how to solder I can do it myself next time , it looks pretty simple.
LimaHotel

Re: Team Pompidou First Antweight Build

Post by LimaHotel »

A good iron is nothing to laugh at, that's for sure. I make do with my £10 one from b&q (even if I do regularly need to file a new point because the thing Keeps melting) but a nice iron is high on my wishlist. Best o luck!
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
TeamPompidou

Re: Team Pompidou First Antweight Build

Post by TeamPompidou »

I'm about to start my build in the next few weeks once I get my soldering iron I ordered. I have a few questions about soldering the Dasmikro Esc mainly how to solder the two wires that go to the receiver and I'm unsure of how I will add a switch. Could someone help me out and tell me how to do these things this would be very useful. Thanks
Dylan , Team Pompidou