Team Pompidou First Antweight Build/Questions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

TeamPompidou

Re: Team Pompidou First Antweight Build/Questions

Post by TeamPompidou »

So I will start my robot in the next few weeks got a soldering iron now and switches but I need some help to know where the switch goes . I have the Dasmikro ESC and I can't find anywhere where it goes , I guess i cut on the wires and add it but I don't know which wire! If anyone knows it would be useful otherwise I won't be able to start the build
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

The switch should be added between the battery plug and the dasmikro, on the positive (red) wire. Good luck with soldering the dasmikro, they're very delicate.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

With regards to soldering the dasmikro - my advice is soak everything in flux, load your iron with solder, touch it to each pad of the dasmikro. Once you've got a blib of solder on each pad of the dasmikro, load your wires similarly. Then, just hold the wire against the dasmikro and use the iron to melt the solder on the wire into the solder on the dasmikro. This is generally pretty bad soldering practice, but as the dasmikros are so delicate it's how I've had the most success. If you /do/ wind up tearing any of the pads off, it's not the end of the world. See if you can work out which component the pad connects to, and solder onto that.
Also make sure you hang on to your packaging. Hopefully you won't need it, but Bangood are good at refunds if the Dasmikro is a dud so long as you have the packaging.
The switch goes on one of the wires that comes out of the battery. Rather than cut a battery wire, I always instead put the switch on the red wire of the battery connector the Dasmikro comes with.
Good luck!
Oh, one final point - once you've got your DasMikro soldered up, tested, and working, it's not a bad idea to get a load of glue over the pads as well, just so they can't lift off if you take a big hit in the arena. I know some people use araldite(?), but I just used Gluegun on mine.
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Ah great this is really going to help me now , I know exactly what I've got to do , just got to be able to do it now! I'll probably do it next week and I'll update you when I've don't something . Thanks alot for the help .
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

I have just been soldering and it started out well, until i had to do the colored wires that go to the receiver , but somehow i have had some movement when i was moving around the wires mainly the brown and red ones , and they are not soldered into the esc. Here is a photo of the soldering , how can i get it to work from this point.
https://imgur.com/gallery/Tn8QArq/comment/1657121699
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

You don't need to connect more than one power / gnd wire from the rx to the Dasmikro. So those extra wires can be cut off.

Yes the soldering is a mess, and is likely to fail unless you tidy it up a bit. Check that you don't have any shorts. Maybe a bit of hot glue wouldn't go amiss, the Dasmikro pads lift *very* easily with mechanical loads.

But it looks fundamentally ok.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
TeamPompidou

Post by TeamPompidou »

Okay , yes it is a bit of a mess aha , so the connection from the esc to rx which wires do i not need ? I have changed the battery to see if anything would happen and now the rx is glowing red sometimes , no sign of the motors moving now though.
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

The leads from the RX to Dasmikro are Servo leads, they're designed for servos, so they have power. In the case of the Dasmikro, power is fed back from its regulator (aka BEC) to the receiver. So only one set needs to be connected, they're internally connected together in the RX anyway. The 2nd channel (whichever one it is) only needs the servo pulses (signal) wire connected.

I hope that makes some sense.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
LimaHotel

Post by LimaHotel »

Hang on, I should have a photo of a soldered dasmikro somewhere...
Sorry it's not the clearest, but you can see that I've only bothered connecting one set of power leads from the output. Hope this helps?
And yeah I know. My soldering isn't the cleanest either *facepalm*
A grabber? I CHALLENGE IT WITH JIGGY!
MySolderIsOlder

Post by MySolderIsOlder »

Is this a bit clearer?

The four wires leading to the Rx are
Brown (Ch1 - Gnd)
Red (Ch1 - Vcc)
Orange (Ch1 - Signal)
Orange (Ch2 - Signal)

Don't worry - we've all been there!