A Bunch of new Guys & Girls

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

marlton67

A Bunch of new Guys & Girls

Post by marlton67 »

"Hi All,
I am new to this forum & Robots of any kind (A real newbee). I have a group of 10 -12 people that would like to start competing in the Ant class we have a venue for up to 30 people and would like to start monthly competitions and weekly meet up to build and test. But first we need to build our first few Ants. As getting hold of 10 to 12 Nanos 2 is going to be a tall order and most of the fun will be building our own Ants. Is there a good youtube video to teach a real idiot (Myself) how to build an ant without the Nano 2? Is there a place where people sell older robots so I can dismantle to learn? Or are robiteers like Magic players can’t bear to part with their cards!
A little about our group we currently all play MTG (Magic the Gathering) Card game and are members of a gaming club in Dartford up to 50 people meet every Friday to game and a lot are interested in Ants’, but have to make it easy to start with for them.
Any help or advice would be gratefully accepted.
Thank in advance
Ian"
BobHill452

Re: A Bunch of new Guys & Girls

Post by BobHill452 »

His there. Sounds like a great opportunity for some fun. There is a learning curve but it isn't huge if you can take the time to learn. I'd suggest finding the antweight group on Facebook and just seeing what people post and learning from that as you'll pick up stuff bit by bit. Also this vid: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cSPDW0f_MZU&t=16s

Is closest to what your looking for.

Another youtuber does stuff on robot building I find helpful
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCKVSXljMloS4gWibRwCFzRA

I'd also suggest looking through some of the build diaries on this forum to see the successes and failures of others and learn from there.

There are certhinly other esc options including cheap ebay ones which will serve to get you started. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Bustophedo ... Sw8fZayd7H
This for example.

If you are arduino savvy you can buildo your own transmitter and reciever which significantly reduces initial outlay.

Overall id say life will be easier if you buy all pretty made parts but will be more expensive. Also best just to buy some bits and learn by doing.
MichaelG92

Post by MichaelG92 »

I’m a newbie myself, and I was planning on doing a tutorial video on how to build an antweight to help prospective new builders like me. I’m planning on building with a DasMikro but it won’t be out for a month due to my exams, so I appreciate that’s of no use to you now!

In the meantime the links did help me learn what to do, and the people on the forum are very helpful so don’t be afraid to ask questions.

Also Dartford’s not that far from me, if you do set up a monthly thing I’d be interested in coming along if that’s ok?
Michael - Team MG Robotics

Fledgling Surrey based roboteering team

Antweights:

MicroNewton - flipper
ArmamAnt! - pusher
GFB - flipper (under construction)
Fight or Flight - flipper (under construction)
marlton67

Post by marlton67 »

Thanks to both sets of input load of good stuff to take in, Will look at FB group and pick the brains of members on here (A Big Thanks on that one).
Am going to review the info and Start the planing of the first build. Will keep you posted with pics for your enjoyment & feedback!

The main idea is to create a community that is open to all and fun based so When we start our Comps ALL will be welcome and the same for our weekly meetings. From Cardboard to Carbon all are welcome. any other info that could help will always be welcome :D
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

BobHill452 wrote: Sat May 26, 2018 4:38 pm There are certhinly other esc options including cheap ebay ones which will serve to get you started. https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/10A-Bustophedo ... Sw8fZayd7H
This for example.
I keep seeing these ESCs come up. I was looking at one on eBay recently, but eventually opted for a dasmikro. Have you had any experience with them? Are they any good?
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Solid enough for my Antweight to use a pair as a drive system and as a weapon ESC on my Beetleweight. I've had one catch fire on me but I think that was because I was pressing down on it with a tin lid and then turned it on.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
BobHill452

Post by BobHill452 »

I've not fought with any of my ants in a competitions yet so can't comment on that but they seem to work just fine. I've got a 4 wheeled pusher with two on each ESC and that run happily for about 45 solid when practicing with my friend.

I had a Dasmicro blow up on me so these cheap ones are attractive because A, they are cheap and B they are very easy to wire up unlike the das micro which I found a massive pain to wire up. The downside is they end up a bit bulky with all the wires.