Tom's Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

atticp

Tom's Robots

Post by atticp »

Hi Guys, I thought it was time I stopped lurking in the background and start a build thread!
After being inspired from the last AWS we attended and a ridiculous quote from Shapeways for some parts I had designed for a future project, I decided to take the plunge and ordered myself a 3d Printer. I went for the Wanhao i3Plus Duplicator which I saw a few guys on here had got (or variants of) and have been really happy with it. Due to time constraints I haven't got round to trying ABS yet but have some to try for the next AWS.

Anyway here are a few photos of our robots, which are all now 3d printed and on their way to AWS 54. Looking forward to seeing you guys there and bringing home a bag of recycling :)

Franco: A hubless wheel pusher (more photos of the wheels to come)

Loki: A grabber

Nigel: A flipper (who already needs redesigning!):
Tom - Tom's Robots
peterwaller

Re: Tom's Robots

Post by peterwaller »

Looking good particularly Loki you will just have to hope no one has a scaled down version of the heavyweight Thor.
FoxFire

Post by FoxFire »

Your robots look good, nice and solid :) Someday I hope I'll get my own original designs made ^^.
Mark Smith - Team Frey
Polaris (Front Hinge Flipper)
Proxima Centauri (Rambot)
Sprocket Raccoon (Lifter/Rambot)
Fighting Fox (Flipper)
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Franco looks interesting and I'd like to see under his lid at some point.

Loki's face is awesome haha. Made me smile.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
atticp

Post by atticp »

Had a great time at AWS54 lots of great fights and all the robots won at least one fight this time which was amazing. I do need to leave a bit more ground clearance next time as by the time the arena floor has been gouged by a few spinners and there is a bit of debris on the surface Nigel and Franco kept beaching themselves and loosing traction :(

A few more pictures below:

Through Franco's wheels to show their hublessness.

Franco's internals showing the drive belt system for the hubless design.

The damage to Loki after fights with Why Wait and Anticyclone. Why Wait removed the top teeth and an eye which were patched back together before Anticyclone removed the bottom teeth. Looks like some dentistry work will be needed :)
Tom - Tom's Robots
Paulmchurd

Post by Paulmchurd »

How well did the grabber work??
atticp

Post by atticp »

The grabber worked pretty well (won 2 lost 2). One of the losses was caused by my bad driving, I turned the wrong way into the pit instead of away :oops: It could do with more traction when it has grabbed another robot, we didn't have difficulty grabbing other robots but struggled to move them once we had them.
Tom - Tom's Robots