Team Kaizen - Ikari

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Ocracoke

Team Kaizen - Ikari

Post by Ocracoke »

Hey Everyone!

Ant Freeze 5 made me realise just how inadequate Osu is in competition though the mixer burning out and one of the speed controllers catching fire a week before the event and mismatched motors may not have helped (the event itself was great!). So for my next antweight, I am going to build a vertical bar spinner called Ikari (Japanese for fury) - I did an initial sketch at the event and I *think* I know what materials I am going to need.

This will also become my first foray into brushless tech and LiPo batteries (Osu used a LiFe battery, which probably explains the 149g weight despite the thin armour!). I think I have enough nous to work my way through it but I am sure I'll run into a few issues before AWS 54 (if I can make it that is). I'll see about uploading the initial sketches later on.
Team Kaizen

AW: Amai, Ikari, Lafiel, Osu, Ramu
BW: Shu!, The Honey Badger
FW: Azriel
MW: Jibril, Kaizen
Ocracoke

Re: Team Kaizen - Ikari

Post by Ocracoke »

So it has been a while since my last post but I've been gathering all the parts together and the last piece was the OrangeRX Tx6i transmitter that came yesterday so today I've been busy. ;)

Managed to successfully bind the NanoTwo and even get the 56:1 Solarbotics motors onto a PVC board with mounts attached and had it rolling around the kitchen floor after a slightly fraught session with the soldering iron (I am not used to soldering at this size). Currently sitting at 65.8g so plenty of weight to play with at the moment. Next thing to do is get the ESC for the weapon working with the NanoTwo and get the weapon built. Slight change in that I am now using a 10:1 brushed motor for the weapon rather than a brushless motor - just what I had laying around.
DSCF6242.JPG
DSCF6242.JPG (60.28 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
DSCF6239.JPG
DSCF6239.JPG (81.67 KiB) Viewed 6956 times
And here is a video of it buzzing around the kitchen. That buzzing sound is the subtrims not quite having been setup correctly, I've since corrected this on the transmitter and now is nice and quiet.

https://youtu.be/90GVZpiT1xs
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Found a bit of time between other robotic commitments to get the arm for the spinning bar mounted onto the robot. I am beginning to slightly regret using 3mm PVC as the bodywork for this - it is a OK material to work but I've got visions of the arm shattering. Hopefully, the way the arm is mounted should prevent this, it is quite strong in there.

Also added in a 10A ESC for the spinning bar - I know the NanoTwo v3 sends the full 7.2v into the third channel so I am rather hoping I can get away with just using that to power the motor rather than using the normal battery in plug. It wouldn't be that much of an issue if it does require it, just would be fiddly.

Currently sitting at 93.2g, well underweight at the moment.
DSCF6290.JPG
DSCF6290.JPG (87.63 KiB) Viewed 6844 times
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

So I think I've taken a wrong turning... the 10A speed controller just doesn't want to work with the NanoTwo v3 when plugged into the third channel. I am sure I've soldered in the ESC correctly as I use the same model on Shu! and copied that.

Luckily, I have a HV servo laying around that does work in the throttle so looks as if the ESC is borked. Bah. Least the Third Hand tool I got in the mail today got a good workout :D
Team Kaizen

Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Also added in a 10A ESC for the spinning bar - I know the NanoTwo v3 sends the full 7.2v into the third channel so I am rather hoping I can get away with just using that to power the motor rather than using the normal battery in plug. It wouldn't be that much of an issue if it does require it, just would be fiddly.
Depending on the ESC this may kill it by putting full battery voltage into its logic side.

From the page: Any component with its own BEC connected to the servo plug MUST have its BEC disconnected (By cutting or otherwise disconnecting the red servo wire), not disconnecting this wire may result in terminal damage to the component.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

I would think that could be it, you'd have thought I would have learnt from the featherweight :P Anyway, new brushless ESC and motor on its way.
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

The new motor and ESC arrived. Spent a bit of time working out how to bolt it to the robot but the end result is rather pleasing, if a little skewed. 103.2g at the moment, plenty of allowance for a blade and a HDPE shell. The noise off the motor reminds me of a buzzy, angry bird...

https://youtu.be/TTVJnxB7m2g

I have a bit of hope now that it is going to be ready for AWS 55 (or BotFest failing that).
Team Kaizen

Ocracoke

Post by Ocracoke »

Mounted a blade and have been trailing it. The blade is slightly unbalanced so anything about 50% and the robot is liable to go anywhere it fancies. I'll see about remaking the blade in steel before AWS but I still have this one if needed. I also swapped the battery over for a 370mah 2S LiPo since I needed the other 350mah battery for another antweight.
ikari.JPG
ikari.JPG (27.88 KiB) Viewed 6552 times
Sounds like a angry hummingbird when it gets going. ;) Just needs a shell adding to it, a power light and then done.
Team Kaizen