Team Dudge build diaries.

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

MarkR

Re: Team Dudge build diaries.

Post by MarkR »

That looks super awesome.

What is the armour / structure made of? What material?

Is it really strong enough to whack the hammer with only one side connected to the motor?

That metal piece with grub screw looks pretty solid.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Looking awesome! :D

I can understand it being twitchy; in my experience, 2WD with wheels in the middle usually makes for a twitchy machine but still, the method has advantages. The twitchiness is one of the reasons I've gone with 6 and 8 wheel drive for my axe robots but you'll get used to it quickly, I'm sure. Looking forward to seeing it at the next AWS.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

I have the devo 6e radio. I think.. yeah probably the responsiveness for drive controls can be tinkered with. I'll look into that. To be honest I'm still learning how to use it. Good idea, cheers.

@ Mark- The armour is polycarbonate I just spray paint it all black because I prefer the look to transparent.

The hammer only getting powered/supported on one side was a worry of mine too. In terms of hitting power it will be okay, George put my mind at ease there and fiddling with the subbed in motor (different ratio) seemed like yeah power should be fine. Physical support and strain on a single motor shaft is still a slight concern but it feels pretty solid when all put together. I think I will at some point before it goes to an event grab a spare motor just in case.

The hammer won't be super effective at causing any real damage I suspect. It might get a lucky hit and shake something loose etc but I can't see it doing much against armour. Should be fun making a racket with it through.
My robots:

Third Law (antweight) - push/ram bot
Manticore (antweight) - hammer bot
DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

Have a look in your transmitter menu for the rates. They're naturally set to 100% but you can turn them down for less speed/twitchiness for more control, or even whack them up to 150% for even more uncontrollability! Ha. Tailoring rates to specific ant profiles can give you an extra edge. Though simply practicing is much more fun.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

That looks great, and we'll done for getting it on weight first time, I wish I could do that.

While you'll never get it to drive as well as a 4wd bot, I find turning down the aileron rate helps a lot. Go into mixer, aileron, and adjust the "scale" down from 100. I find around 60 works, but obviously adjust it to taste. (this limits the steering travel, so it doesn't turn as fast, but that's rarely an issue)
Other than that get lots of driving practice, despite Zero being my worst handling robot I think it's the one I drive the best, simply because its the robot I've used the most.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Derek Dudge wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:11 pm Physical support and strain on a single motor shaft is still a slight concern but it feels pretty solid when all put together. I think I will at some point before it goes to an event grab a spare motor just in case.
I've found that with a single motor, the thing which happens is the gearbox on the motor will slowly loosen and then jam and not work at all even though all looks secure but just a touch loose. Just remove the axe shaft after each fight, give the two gearbox screws a tighten up and reinstall the axe shaft. Otherwise you may find nasty surprises such as not being able to self right at a crucial point. :D
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

The new motor got delivered! :D

https://youtu.be/c6JDtBPMHYc
My robots:

DieGracefullyRobotics

Post by DieGracefullyRobotics »

I love it. Great stuff.
Dave
Die Gracefully Robotics - Barely Even a Proper Team.
Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Snazzed him up in team colours. Basically he's done now. I might fiddle around fastening a few bits inside down a bit better but basically he's finished.

Obligatory team picture! Ready for June and the AWS!

My robots:

Derek Dudge

Post by Derek Dudge »

Hmmm. Probably gonna be doing a rebuild on Manticore before he ever gets to an official fight.

Spent a while the other day chasing my housemate's kid's RC car and trying to bash it. He thought it was great fun and I got to thoroughly test my bot in a kinda combat situation lol.

The hammer works ok, just as Antroboteer said motor on one side means the fittings on the motor loosen a bit and will need a tighten every couple of matches. I can live with that.

However. I'm not happy with the 1mm thick chassis.The way it's all bolted together, repeated swinging of the hammer is actually twisting the chassis beheath it and eventually something is gonna split.

I am probably gonna build a new body for him from all 1.5mm poly this time. The whole bot can be a bit shorter and I was a couple of grams under anyway so it should be all doable.

Annoying in a way but ah well AWS is a while away still and it gives me something to do ☺
My robots: