Buying Antweights

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

HatredChaos

Buying Antweights

Post by HatredChaos »

Hello - I tried to contact Ellis Ware about commissioning an antweight version of Pulsar but he hasn't responded... I already have an antweight robot courtesy of Alex Shakespeare, but I sort of want more.

Anyhow, if you have any extra ants you want to get rid of, I'll happily buy them. Spinners and drum spinners are my top priority, I've always loved them. I'd also like the transmitter and charger. PM me how much you want and I'll see if I can afford it without the bank coming for my kneecaps. I live in the UK. https://www.facebook.com/steve.macdonald.31 There's my facebook account if you want to contact me on that.

- HatredChaos/Stephen
Kaazmin

Re: Buying Antweights

Post by Kaazmin »

Why don't you build your own ^-^ its not as hard as it looks :P
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

It really isn't as hard as you think! I didn't know a thing about how to build a robot at the start of the year, and even though I've taken my time, its now November, and I have my own (nearly finished) robot! The kind folks here will answer any question you've got, and when you finally get it working, it's such a rewarding experience. If you want my advice, go for it, and see what you can build! :)
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
HatredChaos

Post by HatredChaos »

I can just about charge the one Alex gave me and I'm learning about it from the one I bought for him. I don't have a solder, a 3D Printer and the only knowledge I have about antweights is what I'm learning from Terminal Ferocity.
Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

I learned how to build them from youtube ^-^ and u don't need a 3d printer to make an antweight :P
Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

plus you can always ask here for help. if u come up with some designs there are loads of people here who can help you with choosing parts :P. Are you able to come along to any events, it would probably help a lot if you were able to see all the other ants first person.
HatredChaos

Post by HatredChaos »

All I have that could possibly be helpful in building an antweight is a computer and a screwdriver.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

You really don't need a 3d printer to get into antwights.

If you really want to use 3d printing, companies like shapeways exist.
You don't need a degree in engineering or any prior knowledge of robots. i built my first antweight when i was only 11 years old.
The easiest way to build antwights at the moment is a "nano two" kit from Rory, soon to be sold from "Nuts and Bolts" by Alex. and some polycarbonate sheet and a hot melt glue gun.

This forum is designed for people to help each other with building robots. not robot ebay. so just ask for help and the great community here will help.

also generally any "extra ants you want to get rid of" is probably in several thousand pieces spread across the arena.
Team RobotMad, home of the Smart robots, and very mean pots :)
Chris and Lincoln Barnes
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

You really don't need much to build an antweight, certainly none of mine were built using fancy tools.

You can make the chassis with nothing more than a sheet of polycarbonate, some scissors to cut it, and some screws, nuts/bolts, or glue to hold it together. A soldering iron is a good idea for the electronics, but you can pick one up for less than a tenner. You can do the design with pen and paper, no cad required.

As you already have one of Shakey's fine machines your best bet is to come along to the next event (ant freeze is in January) and take a look at everybody's bots, we're a friendly bunch and are happy to give tips.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

yep I built my robot using foam board as armour so :P and I'd totally show u how I built it while im at ant-freeze 5 ^-^