Buying Antweights

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

HatredChaos

Re: Buying Antweights

Post by HatredChaos »

Alright, I'll give it a go. I was thinking of creating a robot with a crushing arm, similar to Razer or Suicidal Tendencies. If I can get enough force through it and make the arm out of steel or something, it could work.
Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

if you can make tiny hydraulics that would be cool :D no ones done it yet ^-^
HatredChaos

Post by HatredChaos »

I was thinking more of a servo-powered crushing arm, tiny hydraulics worry me as I doubt I can get enough pressure for the beak to do any sort of real damage. I know the Razer Team turned a Razer Pullback into a small antweight version of Razer, it shouldn't be too difficult to do the same adaptation with a pullback, but the claw would have to be metal.
Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

yeah the problem with those servos are they don't have enough power to do any damage, they are mainly used to hold the opponent in place.
Kaazmin

Post by Kaazmin »

yeah the problem with those servos are they don't have enough power to do any damage, they are mainly used to hold the opponent in place.
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Bear in mind that servos - while powerful - probably won't give a razer-esque crush. They are undoubtedly the way to go for your first build, especially something with high torque and low speed, for a crusher, but it will probably largely be a case of grabbing, pinning and holding. Nevertheless, that's why there are as many open sections/pits in ant arenas as there are, so you can control/push out other bots. But a servo driven grabbing arm is definitely a good weapon to go for! Good luck with the build!

Also wouldn't it be hydraulics not pneumatics for a crusher? I'm not actually aware of any hydraulic ants, but if you do decide to go for that route, I'd be very interested to see the results! :D
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
GeorgeR

Post by GeorgeR »

A servo crusher wouldn't generate enough force to actually crush another antweight. The design might still be good though, there are a couple of ants with razer style grabber arms, and the ability to grab and control your opponent is certainly an effective way to win.
I think hydraulics would be the only way of getting enough force for a true crusher, but nobody has managed to build one yet, so probably not the best option for a first build.
With regards to materials, while steel is strong, its weight is an issue and 150g doesn't give you much to work with, aluminium is a better bet for most options.
Team Zero - AWS 58 Champion!
Zero - rambot - - Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner
Blueprint - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner - - Particle - ???
RBMK - quad spinner gyro walker - - Duality - dual spinner gyro walker
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Not completely true here is Feeble an attempt at a hydraulic crusher that lived up to it name and leaked lots of cooking oil everywhere.
The picture is dated 2002 so quite a while back.
I can never remember the chaps name but last time we mentioned it Gary came up the answer.
I thought it was Richard Thompson (Tomo) who built both Feeble and and Legion - the first antweight cluster