Kosmos Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Rocketeer13

Re: Kosmos Build Diary

Post by Rocketeer13 »

I think another update was due a week ago, but I keep telling myself that 'I'll just do a bit more before I post!' so it's just got delayed! :lol:

Anyway, on the bodywork side of things, it's largely finished, with the only modifications needed being a polycarb support for my weapon servo, which I'm ordering soon. The fins on the lid will be added only if I have enough weight, and I haven't attached the front panel yet to allow me access to set up the weapon, and drill holes in the chassis if necessary. But I'm very pleased with how it looks, and how sturdy it is!

On the electronics side of things, I've now got both the rechargeable battery, and the charger. I've also pinpointed my electronics issue as being a faulty reciever, so hobbyking should be sending me a new one within the week. When I get paid again, on Tuesday, I'll order the weapon servo, and hopefully everything should start coming together! :D

It currently weighs around 134 grams, so I may just get away without having to do any weight saving, but I'm certainly not far off finishing! I'm not sure yet as to whether I'll be able to make the next AWS, as it depends very much on if my dad can take me - unfortunately, public transport from Devon to Southampton is more tricky than it should be - and the next Ant Freeze may be difficult too. Hopefully Greenwich will become a regular venue though, as that's a little more simple!
IMG_20171021_153700841.jpg
IMG_20171021_153700841.jpg (239.17 KiB) Viewed 11101 times
IMG_20171021_153301086.jpg
IMG_20171021_153301086.jpg (241.06 KiB) Viewed 11101 times
IMG_20171021_153419431.jpg
IMG_20171021_153419431.jpg (245.52 KiB) Viewed 11101 times
Crossblow [BW] - Four Bar Lifter (Active)
Serf's Up [AW] - Lifter/Rambot (Under Construction)
Kosmos [AW] - Front Hinged Flipper (Retired)

Team Page:
https://www.facebook.com/MotteAndBaileyRobotics/
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

IMG_20171021_153505681.jpg
IMG_20171021_153505681.jpg (244.99 KiB) Viewed 11101 times
i

Team Page:
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Wow, that looks really nice. Hope you're able to come to the AWS; I'd love to see it running. :D
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

So sadly I wasn't able to make the AWS, which is a shame, as I could well have been ready!
Anyway, here's what I've been up to:
Firstly, my receiver woes are over, as the replacement came, and worked beautifully! I now have my weapon servo, linked below, and I've fitted it in the robot, using a paperclip as the arm. I'm pleased with the weapon's power, as I can also self right, but I'm not sure how sturdy that paperclip will be - I guess I'll just have to try it out a bit more!
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/13g-met ... -6-0v.html

So, as a result, the front panel has been attached, and I've added a switch to the battery, meaning it now complies with all the rules. The charging time on this seems to be about an hour, according to the web. I did also attempt to speed mod the servos, but the micro screwdriver I've got couldn't find a purchase on some of the screws. On top of that, the smallest of my dad's watch making screwdrivers is missing, so I can't even use that. But they do seem to be fairly nippy anyway, and probably fast enough for combat, but slow enough for me to get to grips with the controls. I'll edit together a video when I get the time to demonstrate.

It currently weighs in at 144 grams, and I have a few things left I can do. Firstly, I need to get a programming cable for the transmitter, as at the moment the flipper only moves 90° by twisting a knob. Easily fixed, but needs to be done. Second might be the fins from the original design, that would definitely help protect the switch from being knocked in a fight. I also have the option of shortening the servo cables to take up less weight and space, but it's really whether or not I can be bothered to do that! Lastly is getting some double sided tape to attach the acetate. However, the main body of the robot is already 4 inches by 4 inches, so doing this would mean that the acetate actually pokes out beyond that, something I hadn't foreseen! How much of an issue is this? Any suggestions?

But thanks again for all the help and encouragement. My younger brother is having a go at it too, now, so I'll upload some photos of his project at some point! But making this has been great fun - I think I might be hooked on the hobby! :D
IMG_20171112_155403595.jpg
IMG_20171112_155403595.jpg (246.63 KiB) Viewed 10996 times
IMG_20171112_155240513.jpg
IMG_20171112_155240513.jpg (248.56 KiB) Viewed 10996 times
IMG_20171112_155257960.jpg
IMG_20171112_155257960.jpg (243.43 KiB) Viewed 10996 times

Team Page:
Geoffreybath

Post by Geoffreybath »

Looks good for your first time build. Any ideas for next robot project :D
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

The robot only needs to fit in a 4 inch cube, it isn't limited to a 4 x 4 base. By fitting the robot diagonally in the cube it can be a lot longer than 4", but any acetate does need to fit in the cube. Bits poking out are not allowed! :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

BeligerAnt wrote:The robot only needs to fit in a 4 inch cube, it isn't limited to a 4 x 4 base. By fitting the robot diagonally in the cube it can be a lot longer than 4", but any acetate does need to fit in the cube. Bits poking out are not allowed! :)
Got it. Well, those are the rules! I've completely disassembled the front, trimmed it down, and fitted it back again. It's a bit steeper, so it's not ideal, but it works!

As for future projects? I have several ideas. There will probably be a rebuilt version of Kosmos first, as now it's all together, I can see some room to make it smaller, and refine the design. There may also be a Mute style rebuild at some point. Currently though, my favorite of my new designs is a grabber bot that I think is fairly original. It may also have an interchangeable flipper arm too! 'Starbug' is the top name at the moment, if it's not already taken (looks like there's a nanoweight called Star Bug on antlog), obviously named after a particular sci-fi ship, but also kind of appropriate, as I thought the grabbing arms look a lot like antenna. It's still in the design phase, but I'd be interested to hear your thoughts!
IMG_20171116_102030982.jpg
IMG_20171116_102030982.jpg (130.5 KiB) Viewed 10611 times

Team Page:
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

it looks really cool with the front end maybe make your hooks with thin nails or similar just set to point backwards a little for a 'bite' , i like the name starbug provided its not used too much do you know whos it is?
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Rocketeer13

Post by Rocketeer13 »

Occashokka wrote:it looks really cool with the front end maybe make your hooks with thin nails or similar just set to point backwards a little for a 'bite' , i like the name starbug provided its not used too much do you know whos it is?
Thanks! :) Good idea! It looks like the nano Star Bug (as well as Red Dwarf) belong to team RobotMad, builder of the smart ants, and are not currently active, so I think the name is free. Nails are a brilliant idea for the hooks: It might be possible to use them as the arms, as they'd be far sturdier than thin polycarb. I'll set up a separate build diary for my ants once I start, so all my projects are in the same place.

As for Kosmos, it needs a quick charge and a test, then it'll be finished! I'll upload a test video soon! :D

Team Page:
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

i'd prefer if you avoid using the name starbug as i have plans for a new nano that may use the name.
the name actually came from the first nano being red dwarf for obvious reasons (it was red and slow and seemed size appropriate)
so its twin nano was named star bug.
sorry to be a bit of a kill joy but im sure you can come up with a new name. (says the guy who's robots are just numbered most the time)
Team RobotMad, home of the Smart robots, and very mean pots :)
Chris and Lincoln Barnes