"Sioc" Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: petec, administrator, BeligerAnt

ShootyMcExplosion

Re: "Sioc" Build Diary

Postby ShootyMcExplosion » Sun May 21, 2017 6:31 pm

Well, I've left this build alone for far too long, but I finally decided today to finish Sioc. Here's the completed ant!:

I got the look from simply printing out an ice texture and sticking it to the inside layer of the polycarb, which gives it even more of an ice-y feel.

All of the poly pieces are now mounted together via a few nuts, bolts, and pieces of a cut out biscuit tin. The only exception is the front, which I simply ran out of space and weight to mount, so that's still tape unfortunately. Should do in a pinch though.

Everything is snugly contained down below, and arranged in a way that shouldn't interfere with the lifter.

I abandoned the linkage system due to space, and went back to a good ol' arm with a rubber band to help retract. Also, thanks to everything not being mounted by Blu Tack, the machine now self rights 100% of the time. Hooray!

I still need to get better at driving, but for the most part I think I've done fairly well for a first antweight. If I could do it again from scratch, I'd maybe try to design the pieces of poly in such a way that made the insides of the robot more accessible, as well as re-angle the flipper to have for give. I also need to get some acetate for the front as well. I still have my second antweight to finish (really, to start), which should be a fun design, and I'm also hoping to design a FW soon as well, so I'll probably head over to the FRA forums for that.

Finally, I've just realized that I never explained why the machine had its name. "Sioc" is the Irish word for "Frost", and I wanted to give the machine a winter-y vibe.

GeorgeR

Postby GeorgeR » Mon May 22, 2017 11:40 pm

That looks really good, hope to see it at an event soon.
Team Zero
Zero - rambot - - Vampire - horizontal spinner
Axiom - axebot - - Valkyrie - drum spinner (under construction)

ShootyMcExplosion

Postby ShootyMcExplosion » Tue May 23, 2017 7:36 am

Cheers man, although since I'm living in Ireland, I'll probably wait until I have at least one more antweight built before I can justify going to an event, to get the most out of one as possible.

botomatic1000

Postby botomatic1000 » Wed May 24, 2017 5:07 pm

That's a neat looking flipper you got there :) well done.
Ethan Wall KINGS HEATH COLLIDERS
Robots:
Phantom Fox: a flipper with a mean attitude
Jack The Flipper: US Antweight flipper (Retired until further notice)
Jackal: You'll see...
Vertical Vixen: Isn't it obvious?
T.A.I.H.S: You'll see...

Spiky goat

Postby Spiky goat » Wed May 31, 2017 6:26 pm

I'm just about to start mine, so handy to see what others have done, and how they've done it. Cool little robot :)

ShootyMcExplosion

Postby ShootyMcExplosion » Wed May 31, 2017 8:40 pm

Cheers man! With the kits, I find that building a basic antweight is more of a design challenge over an electrical one. It's a great feeling to be able to control something you built.Wishing you the best of luck with your first antweight!

Return to “Antweights”