New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Bigshot team capt

Post by Bigshot team capt »

Gonna get one hell of a reaction from this:
I've never actually used a servo. Only motors. Which explains my lack of success I suppose...
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Motors are they way to go, but they're way too much work. I expermiented with building my own gearbox, using a sozbots controller and ninco motors. not a good result :( I'm sure if I kept at it something good might have come, but im lazy.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Servos are used as a relatively cheap source of small motor, gearbox and speed controller.

It is possible to build all this yourself and (theoretically) achive better results. Whilst buying motors and speed controllers is not too much of a problem, gearboxes present more of a challenge. You can buy small geared motors, but ones suitable for ants are usually expensive. Making your own gearbox is certainly possible, but you need to be very accurate when aligning the gears, since everything's so small.

Servos are not usually used for spinning weapons because then you don't need a gearbox, and you usually want the safer control and higher power rating that you get with a proper speed controller (ESC).
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

New robot: "The Fish", very nearly finished. Best not to try and describe it, keep it secret until the event I turn up to. Nothing else like it out there though...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Well, The Fish is so original, it doesnt work properly. Back to the drawing board...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

I best put anticipation down here- more details are on my web site.

It is a 100psi flipper-the pneumatics came from http://www.robotcombat.com, it will be competing at the roaming robots event on the 22nd may-hope it does ok :-?
TEAM GEEK!
paul

Post by paul »

its gonna break :?
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

Great, we haven't had a proper flipper for ages.

What's going to happen to it if it meets anticyclone though?

Simon
Andrew_Hibberd

Post by Andrew_Hibberd »

Well, after getting it working(sort of in a i am not very happy with it but want to know what it can do sort of way), i really don't want to put it against spinners in the RR event-however i will build a new chassis for the world series so it should be able to stand up to it-but i am not going to say it will win. I think the main problem is the ram has a stroke which is to big. Should be entertaining anyway :D
TEAM GEEK!
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Just to let you all know, I'm having a break from ants at the mo (as I'm sure some of you have noticed) but I plan to return in a month or 2 (maybe) with a brand new shiny Void and Zenith, ready to get back into the scene again. Apologies for my absence, and I hope to see you all again as soon as possible :)
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk