New Robots

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

paul

Post by paul »

i think it was "destroyed" (taken apart) dunno why tho.
stuart luxton

Post by stuart luxton »

hi i took antweight rip apart to make voodoo which i used at aww 15 not the better design ,will be going back to original rip design and it will be named hinge.
pjl83

Post by pjl83 »

Hi Guys.

I'm just in the process of getting all my bits together to start building my very first ant. (It's my very first robot.)

There are some very clever roboteers on here and some very technical ideas and descriptions.

Can a robot driven by 2 SD200 servos with a servo powered lifter be competetive at the events, or am I just gonna turn up and get wasted straight away. I'm thinking of using mainly strong plastic and really thin metal for armour.

What do you all recon??
olivers

Post by olivers »

In answer to the above:

At WS15 a few weeks ago I did rather well with SD200's.

Odyssey uses straight SD200's as drive and to power the lifter and it got 2nd place.

Hyper Puppy with speed modded SD200's and got 4th place. Look at Scott's page for details: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/sandra.art ... eedmod.htm

Hyper puppy also uses popycarbonate panels stuck together with masking tape (no-one could believe that) and I used a thin bit of metal for the front armour.

Details of Odyssey (hyper Puppy not there yet) at: http://www.antweight.co.uk/myants/myants.htm

So SD200's can be used to good effect.
pjl83

Post by pjl83 »

cool.
that looks like a good little robot. i'm thinking about the speed against torque thing now. obviously i'll lose some torque if i modded the servo's for speed. if i'm gonna have a lifter, it'd be nice to have some torque to push them once i've got them on the lifter, but then again, without modding them i might never catch them to get them in that position.

AAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

i think i'll go for torque..................
or speed...............................

not sure yet.

i've confused myself
paul

Post by paul »

s62's are really east to mod but dont really have the power but pete waller uses them i think this is mainly because he goes for speed and agressive weponary rather than pushing power. but there probly the easyist servos to mod. (my opinion)

paul
draganflyer

Post by draganflyer »

wow fecking hell its been a while.
Simon Windisch

Post by Simon Windisch »

pjl83,
The advice I would give (and I should take it myself) is to get lots of fdriving practice in.
Also, buy a couple of AWS DVDs and study how a robot wins.
Lastly, remember you don't need that much torque to push a 150g robot that has its wheels off the ground, which is (I assume) what you intend to do. Just try to minimise slippage. Study those DVDs and look at how often the wheels of a robot slip. as opposed to the infrequent times a robot is "out-torqued".

Best of luck
Simon
olivers

Post by olivers »

If you have speed you can get away from other ants with torque but you definaltely suffer.

On that note SD200's have 2.5kg/cm. Say 50mm diameter wheels, thats 1kg of torque at the outer edge of the wheel. 2 wheels thats 2kg. Say 1/10 due to speed mod, 200g/cm at the outer edge which is good enough for me.
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I remember my first ant had 2 sd200 for drive and a sd200 for a lifter. I lasted all of 3 seconds :razz: Still, that was mainly down to bad design on my side, and also some bad driving. I'm sure you can be competetive though, with a good design and plenty of driving practise.

With regards to the speed mod, if you feel confident enough to do a stable and reliable speed mod, then go for it. As Simon says, ans are rarely "out-torqued". As long as you have enough torque to push you're ant and another, and plenty of grip, you should be fine.

As I said though, make sure you can safely hack the servo. I have broken so many servos trying to hack them, and I have found SD200s to be tricky. Also, like many other will tell you, practise makes perfect, so get working on that driving. So many good robots have falen because their drivers have had a moment of madness.

Anyway, good luck, hope to see you at the next AWS.