Antweight robot first build

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

baggzey23

Antweight robot first build

Post by baggzey23 »

Hi

since watching robot wars i've decided to make an antweight robot, i know almost nothing about electronics but have spent a while on the internet stalking the threads, i've ordered a zumo chassis, 2mm polycarbonate and 1.2mm stainless steel sheet and have started on a apollo themed flipper paper model, i've currently got
1.2mm steel sheet
2mm polycarbonate sheet
6x turnigy tg9e micro servo (read about modifying these so they can be used properly)
2x turnigy nano tech 260 mah 2s 35-70c lipo pack
1x turnigy tgy-206g-hv (think this is used for the flipper)
2x 10a brushed esc speed controller

not sure what transmitter/ reciever i need, what should i do next and what other stuff do i need? any advice would be greatly appreciated

thanks for reading
Attachments
apollo paper.jpg
apollo paper.jpg (55.14 KiB) Viewed 8977 times
IMAG0422-min.jpg
IMAG0422-min.jpg (250.3 KiB) Viewed 8981 times
BeligerAnt

Re: Antweight robot first build

Post by BeligerAnt »

Welcome to the forum!

If you are using servos for drive you don't need the speed controllers. However, servo drive is pretty "old skool" these days and your robot won't be very fast by modern standards. You could use the speed controllers to drive some gear motors. Most people use small gear motors like these: http://www.technobotsonline.com/pololu- ... otors.html or similar ones from Ebay (ask here if you're not sure about exact offerings on Ebay).

You will need a transmitter and receiver that use the same protocol as well as frequency - not all 2.4GHz transmitters will talk to all 2.4GHz receivers. You need at least 3 channels, 4+ channels are readily available, cheap and perfectly usable. You can have more channels on the receiver than transmitter, it doesn't matter. So you can use a 6-ch receiver (Rx) with a 4-ch transmitter (Tx). Most people use a "mode 2" transmitter with drive/steering on the right stick and weapon on the left. Choose "mode 1" if you prefer "left hand drive" :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
baggzey23

Post by baggzey23 »

Thanks for the information :)

Which gear motors should I use as in ratio and will all of them fit in the zumo chassis if I use that? Will this devo 7e transmitter/reciever be good enough and lastly for now how big should the wheels be if I make the flipper?

Thanks for reading
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

I'm not sure what use you'd have for a Zumo chassis? Generally you'll want a custom chassis for antweights but it's not usually that hard - a lot of mine have been basically a sheet of suitable plastic or metal/carbon fibre with holes for the wheels and motor mounts cut out with a knife.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
baggzey23

Post by baggzey23 »

joey_picus wrote:I'm not sure what use you'd have for a Zumo chassis? Generally you'll want a custom chassis for antweights but it's not usually that hard - a lot of mine have been basically a sheet of suitable plastic or metal/carbon fibre with holes for the wheels and motor mounts cut out with a knife.
Thanks, will a polycarbonate base with a metal shell work and how would I attach them to each other?
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Screws would probably be the best bet for attaching a metal shell to a polycarbonate chassis. You can tap polycarbonate (if it's >2mm thick) and use machine screws. M2 steel or M3 nylon screws would be OK. You may need to make some brackets or blocks to screw into.
If you use 1mm polycarbonate you will probably have to put some folds in it to make it stiff enough for a chassis. If you use 2mm or thicker you can get away with a flat sheet.
At antweight scale, do not underestimate the power of gaffa tape! Very suitable for joining all sorts of materials!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
baggzey23

Post by baggzey23 »

thanks for the advice, going to start making the shell soon :) another question will any of these be compatible with the devo 7e since it came today?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... ivers.html
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

The orange rx will, if you flash the devo 7e with devolution software so it can run dsmx/dsm2 protocol
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

R615x should be small enough
baggzey23

Post by baggzey23 »

thanks ordered the r615x, stainless steel was not a good choice considering i can barely cut it, might just make it out of polycarbonate and cover it with thin alaminium, also got the motors so just need to work out how to connect them to the speed controller