Yet another newbie looking for advice

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Tom3256

Yet another newbie looking for advice

Post by Tom3256 »

Hello everyone I'm Tom

Yet another newbie who is looking to get into ant weight bots after watching robot wars recently. Money is really tight at the moment as we have a baby on the way but that doesn't stop me planing my first build.

I plan to start small: a simple wedge design with two rear wheels the bot will be able to run inverted. I plan to get the NanoTwo V2 Kit which I have seen highly recommended on here. And use a radio link T4EU 2.4ghz or eflite blade Sr hp6dsm 2.4 ghz transmitter. Powered by a Turnigy nano-tech 180 mah 2s Lipo battery. On a chassis of lexan sheet

Doe's this sound like a good start?

Thanks
BeligerAnt

Re: Yet another newbie looking for advice

Post by BeligerAnt »

Welcome to the forum, Tom!

Sounds like a good start, you must have done your homework :) As you've probably read, make sure that the transmitter uses DSM2 protocol and not DSMX. I think someone said that the Blade transmitters are going that way. Other than that it sounds like a good low-cost way to start. You can always add a servo-powered lifter at a later date for a few pounds.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

The DSMX blade transmitters are fine. The protocols should be backwards compatible, it just seems that only spektrums have an issue in this.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
Tom3256

Post by Tom3256 »

Thanks for your replys I'm now toying with the idea of going straight in a adding a flipper or lifter into the design per your suggestions. How difficult is it to solder another Servo to rorys kits and is it hard to pair it to the blade or similar transmitter?

Thanks for your help
Tom3256

Post by Tom3256 »

Hi I have had a look on eBay and seen a blade helicopter going cheap with a Transmitter (RTF version only): 4 Channel, DSM2 2.4 GHz model # MLP4DSM would this work with rorys kit as it is dsm2 or would the rtf version thing affect it?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If its a MLPDSM transmitter that is DSM2 compatible it should work with Rory's controller.
RTF just means ready to fly.
Tom3256

Post by Tom3256 »

Cheers thanks for the quick reply think I'll have a cheeky bid