Antweight first build diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Asht

Re: Antweight first build diary

Post by Asht »

All finished but comes in at 160 grams so going to use 1.5 mm could anyone point out any improvements I can make would really appreciate some advice
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 9285 times
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Weigh all the parts individually before you start trying to save weight, no point in trying to get 10g out of a 9g part!
Can you use thinner material in some places? Or cut holes? (But you need a *lot* of holes to save significant weight)
Can you use plastic screws instead of metal?
If you're really up against it you could go to a smaller battery, 110mAh is OK for a flipper but you might have to make your own pack from individual cells.
Unfortunately you're using heavy tyres and a heavy Sabertooth controller. You could take the terminal blocks off and solder directly to the board but it won't save much. You could go for custom wheels the same size as the ones you have but much lighter - ask Alex (Shakey) if you don't have a means of making them yourself.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Asht

Post by Asht »

I'm going to go 1.5 mill instead of 2mm for the body I think that should safe me a bit and bend more of the body to save on screws does the design look like it would work?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If those wheels are the Pololu ones I think they are they are 19 gms each so just changing the wheels and tyres as Gary suggests could easily save you the 10 gms.
Also the flipper looks a bit flexible so could probably do with stiffening to improve the flipping.
Otherwise it is looking good.
Asht

Post by Asht »

There Lego ones I'm hoping to make the body in three parts to save fixings and also build it all out of 1.5 mill polycarbonate instead of 2mm. I wasn't sure about the placement of the wheels it's nicely balanced but most I see are at the back. This is the third try on the body ha it's the best bit I think I'll use a kit off here or one of Rory if he has any I'm going to play with pneumatics and a spinner for my next two I'm definitely addicted
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

The main reason for wheels at the back is that if someone get underneath you at the front then central wheels will be instantly lifted in the air meaning you can't get off their wedge whereas wheels at the back are safer against wedges because however far up the wedge you are you can still reverse off.

However as long as the weight balance is right then don't feel the need to change your design,just be careful of letting wedges get at your front
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Asht

Post by Asht »

That's what I was worried about I like the look of it but like you said it is a weak point really nice to steer etc but most are a wedge design so maybe more the wheels to the back as I'm rebuilding anyway
Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat »

That's looking really good! With the motor controller, you can remove the aluminium plate off the backs the heat generated from the use in antweights is minimal, meaning you can have more weight free. Anyone second this to confirm?
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
Asht

Post by Asht »

I've taken that off I think by weighing everything dropping down to 1.5mm polycarb and using more bends in the body to save on screws I'll be using 10 instead of 25 and I'm going to get a smaller battery for events! hopefully that will bring me under still stuck on wether or not to move the wheels? I'm really happy with the design just make it a lot neater next time
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I'd definitely move the wheels to the rear, it helps hugely with getting under things by putting the robots weight on the scoop.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!