Post by Asht »

First mock up I think I'm happy with the design no to tidy wires etc
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (137.25 KiB) Viewed 8453 times
Asht

Re: Antweight first build diary

Post by Asht »

The one on the right is my second attempt but I still was happy so went with 2mm polycarbonate and going to mount the servo for the flip on top
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (87.28 KiB) Viewed 8345 times
Asht

Post by Asht »

I'm also mounting the wheels in the middle to hopefully turn faster
Asht

Post by Asht »

All finished but comes in at 160 grams so going to use 1.5 mm could anyone point out any improvements I can make would really appreciate some advice
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 9340 times
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Weigh all the parts individually before you start trying to save weight, no point in trying to get 10g out of a 9g part!
Can you use thinner material in some places? Or cut holes? (But you need a *lot* of holes to save significant weight)
Can you use plastic screws instead of metal?
If you're really up against it you could go to a smaller battery, 110mAh is OK for a flipper but you might have to make your own pack from individual cells.
Unfortunately you're using heavy tyres and a heavy Sabertooth controller. You could take the terminal blocks off and solder directly to the board but it won't save much. You could go for custom wheels the same size as the ones you have but much lighter - ask Alex (Shakey) if you don't have a means of making them yourself.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Asht

Post by Asht »

I'm going to go 1.5 mill instead of 2mm for the body I think that should safe me a bit and bend more of the body to save on screws does the design look like it would work?
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

If those wheels are the Pololu ones I think they are they are 19 gms each so just changing the wheels and tyres as Gary suggests could easily save you the 10 gms.
Also the flipper looks a bit flexible so could probably do with stiffening to improve the flipping.
Otherwise it is looking good.
Asht

Post by Asht »

There Lego ones I'm hoping to make the body in three parts to save fixings and also build it all out of 1.5 mill polycarbonate instead of 2mm. I wasn't sure about the placement of the wheels it's nicely balanced but most I see are at the back. This is the third try on the body ha it's the best bit I think I'll use a kit off here or one of Rory if he has any I'm going to play with pneumatics and a spinner for my next two I'm definitely addicted