First ever robot with no experience!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Reala

First ever robot with no experience!

Post by Reala »

Hi everyone,

I was sent here both from a Facebook Group (Ant Chat) and another Forum (Fighting Robots) - both spoke very highly of the people and conversations going on here.

I've been a fan of Robot Wars since I was about 8 years old (and, more recently, Battlebots). It had never occurred to me to build a robot before, because I always thought it would be hugely expensive (I guessed thousands to tens of thousands) and I'd not have the space - seeing those 100+ KG robots on television, I presumed that was the only way to go about things.

Having spent a few days browsing through various sites and forums, I'm really excited to learn there are Antweights and other really light-weight robots that could make the hobby more affordable and beginner friendly.

Being totally honest, my only real experience is building PCs/Laptops and programming HTML. I've no experience in electronics (beyond what I did at school - basic soldering and circuits). So, I realise I'm light years behind the majority of you guys and have a lot to learn.

However, I'd really love to get started. I've got 2 days a week off work until Christmas and feel that a robot could be just the thing to fill that time.

What I was wondering is whether anyone had a 'shopping list' for an affordable robot that is beginner friendly. I realise that is a huge ask, but I'm presuming it's going to be tough to find a kit for a robot that is within the weight limits (I did message the guy from Nuts, but he said he doesn't have stock right now)? Anyway, in terms of the robot... It doesn't need to be overly impressive, it's more important for me to learn the basics and have something that teaches me how I 'could' swap or improve certain aspects of the robot for future projects.

Thank you all so much in advance, I realise this post is a bit light on details, but I really do look forward to engaging with this community as time goes on.

Best wishes from Somerset,

Marc
peterwaller

Re: First ever robot with no experience!

Post by peterwaller »

Hi Marc
Welcome to the forum.
The best bet is one of Rorys controllers with the receiver motors wheels and tyres already wired up it is a great place to start.
I am sure he will have more in stock soon.
I am just looking at a possible robot for a local school club they are thinking of setting up and that is the way I am going to suggest to them.
All I had to do was cut the red power wire and solder in a switch then plug in the battery below and the basic drive and control part is done.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=34369
The controller has a plug to take a servo for a weapon of some sort so that is straight forward so you just need a lipo charger and a DSM2 compatible transmitter and some inspiration on the type of robot you want to design.
Below is a shot of a basic 3D printed module I have done to hold it all which comes out at 58.5 gms .
Good luck with your first robot.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, I'm currently waiting on stock to arrive before I can make any more NanoTwos. Have a look look though and see what you think. The data sheet contains a list of other recomended parts: http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic ... it=nanotwo

Also, good to hear of another Somerset based roboteer; there aren't many of us!
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Reala

Post by Reala »

Firstly, thank you so much for the welcome, Peter. It's great to meet you and receive your advice =)

I left school/college before 3D printers came out (something I really regret), so I've never even seen one - let alone had a go on one! What software do you use to design your robot's body in or do you tend to get the measurements and then hand it over to the professionals? Again, I'm so sorry for all the beginner questions - I feel I've a lot to learn!

Having watched quite a few of the ant weight videos on youtube, I'm quite keen on eventually giving a spinner a go, although I'm guessing those are the most tricky robots to get correct... so I'll keep that for a future project :D I'm quite keen to try a wedgebot or a push-bot for my first.

Rory, the manual / guide you sent over was fantastic and very useful. I will see about ordering the other items so that I'm ready when your stock arrives (do you have an ETA or is it shipping / life dependant - I totally understand if so). I didn't realise you are also based in Somerset, may I ask where to? I'm in Weston-super-Mare, not too far away from Bristol. The Pier would make a good robot wars venue, I feel... We could just move out the dodgems for a day or two! :P
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It was worse for me I retired before 3D printers became fairly common place but having spent more years then I care to remember as an engineer it wasn't too hard to pick up.
I design all my robots using the free Goggle Sketchup CAD Program.
Reala

Post by Reala »

peterwaller wrote:It was worse for me I retired before 3D printers became fairly common place but having spent more years then I care to remember as an engineer it wasn't too hard to pick up.
I design all my robots using the free Goggle Sketchup CAD Program.
The word 'free' there beats the '$3995' that goes in front of solid works :lol:
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Stock usually takes around 3 weeks to arrive from china, and I only ordered in the last week. After that I've got about a backlog of 20 orders to get through (RW seems to have generated a fair bit of interest!), but that shouldn't take too long once the parts have all arrived. But may be getting on to about 4 weeks before I can get more kits shipped.

Another alternative to 3d printing is building from folded polycarbonate. Quite a few robots use that method now and it's pretty effective, cheap, and only requires a pair of scissors and a pair of pliers. You can build ants out of pretty much anything you like though; I had quite a successful one made out of a mints tin!

I'm from down near Yeovil, so kinda the opposite end of Somerset!
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Skillz

Post by Skillz »

Hi guys ive just been reading reading reading just to increase my knowledge as I'm a hands on kinda guy I think I'll learn more once I have equipment in from of me. I see the geared motors most people use look the same. Had a look on eBay and they come in various Volts and RPM. Is there a standard that everyone uses or do people all tend to use different ones. I'm sorry if this is basic
Team Shinobi
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Apart from quality variation (which you have to take a punt on) the gearmotors are all very similar.
You generally want a 6V motor assuming you are using the common "2S" (7.4V) LiPo battery.
There are a range of gearbox ratios available, but some vendors quote RPM instead of gear ratio just to make comparisons difficult :P
A 50:1 gear ratio is a popular trade-off between torque and speed, I think this comes out at around 300RPM

Welcome to the forum BTW!
Gary, Team BeligerAnt