Novel Spinner Concept

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Sketchy

Novel Spinner Concept

Post by Sketchy »

Hey everyone,
I'm kind of a long-time lurker here, but never actually posted here before or made a robot.

Anyway, a long time ago I had this idea for a novel kind of spinner - probably the worst possible first robot, but I am tempted to give it a go nonetheless...

Basically, it's a kind of invertible ring spinner, where all the electronics etc are contained within a frameless brushless motor like this:

The stator (on the right) would be fixed to the chassis, with all the electronics/mechnicals crammed inside the central hollow. The rotor (on the left), would spin around the outside, with some blades attached of course.
The whole thing would be in the form of a flat disc, with the wheels protruding top and bottom to allow it to run both ways up - similar to these:
http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/bat ... 1217205930
http://www.swindon-makerspace.org/wp-co ... yrobot.jpg

Really, it's much like a conventional full-body or ring spinner, but takes the concept one step further, by combining not only the armour and weapon, but also the weapon motor, all into one component.
It might even be possible to mount fan blades on the rotor, above the stator coils, to generate downforce (so it might be less inclined to fly across the arena when it hits something), and to draw air over the coils to cool them.

Obviously there would be significant obstacles to overcome: mainly getting all the electronics to fit in such a small space (might be better suited to a heavier weight class without the size restriction?), keeping it all within the weight limit, and finding some sturdy enough bearings.
The frameless motor would need to be custom made too, as they are not cheap, light or widely available, but that seems do-able, with a 3D printed air-core stator (magnet wire and tiny neodymium magnets are both easy to get hold of).

On the plus side, it would only need enough drive to not be considered immobile, and it wouldn't really need armour, so virtually all the weight allowance could go into the weapon system. Also, there wouldn't be the usual issue with ring spinners of how to get drive to the spinning shell.

Anyway, just thought I'd share my crazy idea... :)
Occashokka

Re: Novel Spinner Concept

Post by Occashokka »

How big is the hollow you want to get the electronics in? Fan blades is a possibility but if you want to be invertable they would create the opposite affect when you get flipped
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Sketchy

Re: Novel Spinner Concept

Post by Sketchy »

I think the central hollow would be somewhere around 70mm diameter, perhaps less, and as shallow as possible (likely around 13mm) - it seems like the limiting factor there would be the depth of the battery and receiver.

I did actually make a CAD model of the basic design some time ago, minus the bearing system, and everything seemed to just about fit. That was based on 2 micro servos (4.3g) for drive, and a 2S 330mah battery.

(I managed to find this version, where everything does not quite fit)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MiNi-Micro-4- ... SwyKxXhPHY
http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... ouse_.html

I'm not sure if those servos are the most compact drive option (I know you guys all use gearmotors), but I have a couple already and they seem like they might be powerful enough (remember, they don't need to push other bots around), and they're very easily modified for continuous rotation.

I'm not sure about batteries either - a big 2S battery, or a small 3S battery?
The question seems to be how much current the motor would draw. A 2S 330mah 45~90C battery would give you 15-30 amps, compared to only 4-7 amps for the a 3S 180mah 25-40C battery.
Apparently, these frameless motors generally produce loads of torque anyway, so maybe voltage is more important than current?

As for the fan blades, surely the direction of spin could be reversed when the robot is inverted? At any rate, it's okay if the robot is more effective one way up than the other, just as long as it isn't instantly immobilized by being flipped.