Yet Another First Build Thread!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

decap

Yet Another First Build Thread!

Post by decap »

Hello Everyone,

I have to admit, sometimes the worst thing about community forums is fearing to ask the most stupid of questions, but I've been lurking around here a while now, and it seems to be one of the few places online now that doesn't happen, how refreshing!

So a bit about me first of all I guess. Although quite a bit of technical experience (IT in general), electronics/robotics isn't something I've touched since I was about 13 when a built a cybot (does anyone remember those?), but clearly I had no idea what I was actually doing other than following instructions.

I'm here because I've always loved learning new things, and building my own combat robot is definitely on that list. I have a very ambitious (I know) plan of building a spinner and appreciate it's possibly one of the more complex builds to start with, but I don't mind getting stuck in! The ability to have the controls swapped when it's up-side-down (using a mixer?) would also be a big plus!

I've tried to list the parts I'm thinking of starting with based on all the advice I have read from multiple sources, quite likely it's not all compatible! There is so much information about and I'm sure much of it will be out of date, or I'm just plain missing something, so any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Ideally, I'd like all parts to come from the UK.

--------- Current Parts List ---------
TX: TBC
RX: NanoTwo Kit
Power: Turnigy nano-tech 180mah 2S 25~40C Lipo Pack
Drive: NanoTwo Kit
Speed Controller: NanoTwo Kit
Wheels: NanoTwo Kit
Weapon Motor: C2024 Micro brushless Outrunner 1600kv
Brushless Controller: Afro ESC 12Amp BEC UltraLite Multirotor ESC V3
Last edited by decap on Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
peterwaller

Re: Yet Another First Build Thread!

Post by peterwaller »

Hi Decap welcome to the forum.
I wouldn't buy the Sabretooth they are very big and heavy and not very good at supplying enough current on the BEC for a servo.
I would suggest one of Rory's nano two controllers which at £40 + £2 P&P comes with the DSM2 receiver built in plus motor gearboxes and wheels and tyres all pre-wired.
http://robotwars101.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2187
The battery is fine but you need to check the transmitter is DSM2 compatible as all new Spektrums are DSX so you would need to find a second hand DX5e that says DSM2 on the front.
If you are determined to do a spinner first that motor would certainly be powerful enough but a bit pricey at £45 my last spinner uses the one below at £9.35.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... arch=C2024
Which ever brushless motor you go with you will need a brushless controller that can supply the required current such as this one.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... duct=62955
Both the motor and controller are available from Hobbykings UK warehouse.
I hope this helps and look forward to seeing what you build.
decap

Post by decap »

Thanks for the speedy reply :)

I'm not too fussed on the transmitter, to be honest, it's just one I've found. As long as it does what it needs to do I am happy, do you have any suggestions?

Thanks for the heads up on the weapon motor, comparing it specs wise it's an obvious choice!

Looking at the NanoTwo kit it says it has a servo connector for weapons, how will that work with a brushless motor for the weapon? I don't suppose you know specifically which motors and RX are used so I can research in more detail?
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

It's a lemon rx dunno how many channels and they are either polulu gear motors or Chinese versions of polulu's. And generally small 10 or 12A brushless Esc's come with a servo plug on them
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Yes its a lemon receiver which is 6 channels.
The motors are from China I think he does a choice of 540 rpm or a slightly slower one.
The brushless controllers come with a standard servo connector that plugs into the controller directly then there are the two power leads to the battery and the three wires to the motor.
decap

Post by decap »

So if I just wanted to use my own Lemon RX for example (like http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lemon-RX-6-Ch ... 3641.l6368), I would still need a speed controller? What's a good alternative to the sabertooth? Don't get me wrong, I'm probably going to get the kit but always good to understand!
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Yes you would need a speed controller, you can get the nano two esc on its own for £20 however buying your own lemon and gearmotors and the nano two all seperate would cost as much or slightly more than the £40 kit

edit: I just seen your in stroud, same as me!!!!!!
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

I'd advise going for Rorys kit, I run it in all my bots and it's honestly the best solution for antweights.

I've had sabertooth 2x5A's die for no reason whereas the only dead N2LV (Rorys board) I've had had a spinner take half the components off!

I also advise against a spinner first though different reasons to most. As well as the safety aspect I consider them bad learning robots. You can't really learn with them very well, it's hard to practice with them and they don't teach you much about driving vs a non destructive weaponed bot. The motor you selected also dies very fast in spinners, I ran one and would have to bring 1 or 2 spare motors per event. Something more sturdily built is a better option.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
decap

Post by decap »

Definitely going to go for the NanoTwo kit, it's a no brainer especially for a beginner, just keen to understand the alternatives :)

Shakey, complete understand where you are coming from, I'm planning to build a couple to start with (wedge/pusher and a spinner),but I've focused the starting thread surrounding the spinner as obviously, this adds complications. Do you have any recommendations as to the motor for the spinner then?