Walks robot goodness

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Spaceman

Walks robot goodness

Post by Spaceman »

Having robot ideas.

But before designing I wanted to know what qualifies as a walker.

The design I'm thinking is what I'd call a cam walker with a single "ski" on either side and a turn table in the centre for steering (like stomp in series 3).

But as a more general question. What is the criteria and what do people seem the spirit of the rules to be?

Thanks
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
joey_picus

Re: Walks robot goodness

Post by joey_picus »

That would definitely be a shuffler/walker in my opinion - really the rules are aimed at stopping what would basically be wheeled robots with oddly shaped wheels.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Rules wise it's very tricky as I believe they say the final out put must rotate less than 360 but I'm not sure as something on a cam would probably still go in a full circle up and over but would that be a rotation I don't know
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

See rule 1:
Roller - A robot whose final drive output rotates through more than 180 degrees (e.g. wheels)
Walker - A robot whose final drive output rotates through less than 180 degrees (e.g. legs)
Shufflebot - A robot that rests on part of its body during the recovery phase of its leg movement.
Simply having a cam-shaped wheel does not count as a walker.
Having a cam/crank that drives a foot of some sort does count as a walker.
Resting on the body as a "third leg" is allowed - it's a shufflebot.

For the avoidance of doubt, "rotates" means rotates about its' own axis and the restriction applies only to the final drive output. So the leg/foot may not rotate continuously, but the drive train (crank, cam, etc) may rotate continuously.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

That's been very usefull. I think the design I have in mind qualifies as a shuffler.

Allways been interested in making a true walker but that will have to wait for a bit.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)