Bandit's Bot-Building Bonanza

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bot_bandit

Bandit's Bot-Building Bonanza

Post by bot_bandit »

With the completion of my first bot comes the obligatory build diary for Team Bandit! Thanks to everyone here my first bot, a currently unnamed flipper, is up and running! Special thanks to Rory for the amazing Nanotwo and to Alex for answering my questions.

Front

and back!

The bot consists of an ABS 3D printed frame with inserted polycarbonate panels. I used the Rory approved set up of the Nanotwo kit and his recommended servo and battery. The bot is around 9cm wide, 11.5cm long and 3.5cm in height. It comfortably fits in the four inch cute due to the angle sback panel. The bot weighs in at 113g! so quite a bit under weight. Perhaps a metal panel could be added to the flipper or extra support inside. Any suggestions for what to do with the extra weight welcome! Oh, and it can self right (because I know you guys ere wondering!
The whole project including a transmitter and batteries/charger etc cost around £100
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out! Already thinking about the next one. :D now I just need somebody to fight...
Last edited by bot_bandit on Sat Aug 13, 2016 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Luke H - Team Bandit
joey_picus

Re: Bandit's Bot-Building Blog

Post by joey_picus »

ooooh, I love that, the frame/polycarb construction looks really really nice :) it'll be good to see what you have planned after that if this is your first attempt! I would add a metal (Ti?) scoop on the front and maybe bend it around the sides, but it looks pretty good to me. Maybe a bigger battery for testing/not having to charge during events purposes?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Thank you :) The photo's don't quite do it justice, the orange is a bit stronger irl too. I think a Ti skirt would add some protection but also look pretty cool. Not sure if there's enough room for a larger battery though unfortunately.
Luke H - Team Bandit
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

That came out very nicely :D

It looks great and should be one to watch out for in the arena, plus all done on a fairly tight budget.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Thanks Alex! I appreciate it. Hopefully I'll be able to get down to an event sometime in the near future. In regards to the budget I found a website called 3Dhubs.com where you put in what type of material and the colour you want and it hooks you up with 3D printers near you that can do it. (actually the guy that did mine said he'd recently done a couple of other antweights so I figure some of you already use it) The pricing is very reasonable and students get 25% discount by signing in with their university email address! would recommend to anyone who doesn't own a printer :)
Last edited by bot_bandit on Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke H - Team Bandit
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

A look at the internals

here's a better photo of inside the bot. The servo rests on a table which the Nanotwo and wires fit underneath, the motor mounts screw to a raised section of the base giving it a very low ground clearance and the flipper mechanism is bodged from a couple of nuts and a paperclip!!! The flipper itself in hinged on 3D printed nubs that fit into slots on the bot with a strip of polycarb to hold them in. The battery fits in the front (not in there in this photo) with a bit of blue-tac to hold it in place.. haha. The one thing this bot doesn't have is a switch although the battery can be very easily disconnected when the flipper is lifted.
Luke H - Team Bandit
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Looking very good. The 3D printed chassis framework with the polycarb panels really give it a distinctive look. Flipper works nicely too by the looks of things. Looks pretty sturdy too, and shape reminds me of some of the heavyweights. Any ideas for a name?
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Thanks! seems pretty sturdy although obviously not battle tested yet. I drove it off my dining room table into a hard floor by accident and it was fine though! I was kinda going for a miniature heavyweight look so I'm glad that came across, It wasn't inspired by any single one in particular though. No name ideas yet really! The only one I thought of was Satsuma due to the colour but I wanted something a little more punny. Satsumo maybe?
Luke H - Team Bandit
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It is nice to see some one trying not only to make a robot that looks different but also one that is an original method of construction.
Most impressive especially for a first robot I look forward to seeing it in action.
bot_bandit

Post by bot_bandit »

Thanks again. This means a lot coming from all you experienced roboteers. I'm glad you like the design! I just hope it can perform well!
Luke H - Team Bandit