Build Diary for a new antweight

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Fenrir

Re: Build Diary for a new antweight

Post by Fenrir »

Yeah, I did some drilling, but ultimately, after doing holes too large it looks like I wasn't really able to lose enough weight from the robot. It's ok, it's not exactly fighting fit and really awkward to drive because of the brakes on the ESCs, but it's nice to have something to fight against Oni. I'll try some more weight saving techniques from the start with the next robot I make, including different ESCs I think.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

So after making some purchases I have made a couple of very small, very light and very cheap ESCs out of servo boards and a few SMD chip resistors. It's not perfect, even with the trims all the way to the left or all the way up, there is still a bit of movement in them, but it's passable, and better than the clunky heavy ESCs I last used bought for about £7 for two, and with the stuff I have I could make about 8 more of them without having to buy anything else.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (151.21 KiB) Viewed 8730 times
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Yeah, you need to use different values of resistor sometimes to get the trim sorted... 2.2k and 1.8k or a similar ratio would probably sort it
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Yeah I kinda limited myself by only buying one type of SMD. I'll buy the book with lots of different ones in next time, there's one for pretty cheap on eBay.
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Could always just stick another resistor in parallel with one of them to half the resistance on that side. Might bring it within trim range at least.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Thank you for the tip, did exactly what you said and now it centres around the middle of the trims.
Fenrir

Post by Fenrir »

Just appearing with an update to say I am still working on ants, I've had a break with my life getting in the way, but now I've got some time to work on some ants, and my next is a front hinged flipper, putting those custom ESCs to use. I've also figured out that MG90S servos are terrible for flippers, being the reason ONI II's is so weak. For the first front hinged flipper design, it couldn't even lift the robot at all when it was upside down. I've bought some new servos with a good 3.5kg/cm stall torque so they should have some power, and the new longer design for the front hinged should allow it to slide in underneath and have a powerful flip.