Noob question about batteries

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

EaterOfSheep

Noob question about batteries

Post by EaterOfSheep »

Hi! I was sent here from the FRA website.
Any ideas how to connect one of these batteries:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... _100_.html
to my receiver:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/stor ... iver_.html
would be great! Sorry for the extremely silly question but I really can't work it out! The batteries have 2 terminals and the receiver has 3 pins, and I don't know what I need to fit one into the other. Thanks! :)
joey_picus

Re: Noob question about batteries

Post by joey_picus »

Hiya and welcome to the forums :)

On most recievers and general r/c gear, the order of three-pin plugs is signal-live-ground (usually either white-red-black or orange-red-brown on leads), and to connect batteries you only need the live and ground pins. The reciever should have on it some indication of where the negative/ground side is, if not a full list of which pin is which. Follow that, and make sure that the red wire is on the centre pin when you plug it in, and you should be set.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

With the receiver oriented as shown in the photo on the Hobbyking page, battery negative is at the bottom, battery positive is in the middle and the signal for each channel is at the top.
Although one set of pins is usually marked for the battery connection you can actually connect the battery to any channel as all the power pins are connected together.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
EaterOfSheep

Post by EaterOfSheep »

Thanks a lot!! Very helpful! :D

Are there any better ways of connecting the wires other than taping them together and to the battery terminals? I can't get a constant flow when I was testing by connecting batteries to a 360 degrees continuous servo, the servo would just move a TINY bit when I connected the wires to the terminals and then stop again, until I took the wires off the terminals and added them back on, and it would move a TINY bit more. ( I could repeat this over and over, it would move every time the circuit was completed but then stopped instantly).

EDIT: I think the reason for the strange movement is because it needs to be connected to the receiver, oops! (Although I may be wrong) Either way, I need a better way of connecting wires to the battery terminals, preferably without soldering wires to them so I can swap batteries when one runs out, any tips? :P

Cheers!
Last edited by EaterOfSheep on Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

The servo needs a servo signal from the receiver to work. The tiny movement it makes is simply the servos electronics taking a bit of time to actually start working from when the battery is connected. After that it just sits waiting for a servo signal.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
EaterOfSheep

Post by EaterOfSheep »

Shakey wrote:The servo needs a servo signal from the receiver to work. The tiny movement it makes is simply the servos electronics taking a bit of time to actually start working from when the battery is connected. After that it just sits waiting for a servo signal.
Yeah, I realised that a few minutes after I posted (thanks to some muckin' around with non-servo motors)! Oooooppsss!! :oops: Thanks anyway! :D
I'm still searching for a better way of connecting to the battery terminals (preferably without solder). Any ideas?
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

In all honesty soldering is your best option. It's quite easy and you can pick up an iron that can do it quite cheaply.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Soldering on a standard R/C servo connector or a JST connector (any other connector with a 2.54mm pitch will work) to the battery terminals should help, and make the batteries swappable (all my robots use JST connectors, although with the lead running into the speed controller rather than the reciever).

The alternative would be to find a connector that mated with the battery connections directly and solder that to the reciever pins, but from my (limited) knowledge of micro r/c gear the Align connector doesn't seem to be a very standard one?

I am somewhat curious as to what you're building that uses such a relatively large single cell lipo :) most antweights run on 2-4 cell packs so it's not my area of expertise...
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat »

Hi, just saw this post post christmas break.

Anyways i use these batteries and have a few battery holders which are designed to hold these. They are spare parts for the helis they fit into.
If needed, i can supply them to you. I use them in my ants as a simple quick connect, pic to below shows one battery fitted into its block.
http://www.roboteernat.co.uk/antweight-robotics/ look at the wedge shaped bot on the scales, you can see the battery connectors (just placed) into the bot chasis.

Looking for a pic of just the socket, i cannot locate one, will take a pic of it later tonight
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details