Arena Discussions

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

peterwaller

Arena Discussions

Post by peterwaller »

It didn't seem appropriate to put this in the rules debate section so I thought I would open a new topic for general arena debate not just my arena progress.
I went out and bought the wood on sunday morning and made some progress on the frame in the afternoon.
The 25cm square cut outs look bigger than I thought they would but as they are the biggest the pits can be that is probably not a bad thing.
Here is a shot of the frame screwed together and glued to the top.
I have since glued the base sheet on which includes the pit area and used the four cutout squares from the top to double the floor thickness in the pits.
I just hope the polycarb will be delivered quickly so I can check it is all going to fit and work out how to join the cover.
EpicentrE

Re: Arena Discussions

Post by EpicentrE »

Looking good peter! You're right that those pits do look bigger in real life than they did in the diagram, but we'll have to wait and see how they turn out. If you're still intending to have some small walls on the corners to prevent wall-sliding, that will contribute a lot to making the actual drop-off area smaller than it looks.

Keep us updated :).
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
suvv

Post by suvv »

this looks cool good work
how hard can it be???
Robots: Optimistic chances of self decimation (ant), Super generic box ant that everyone builds yehhh (ant)
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

They look like huge pits! I think a low wall round one side of each might be cool. Then you flipper people can have a go at lifting them over but there'll still be enough straight drop off too.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

They are 25 cm but NY's FTS must be fairly close to that!!
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I have been doing some calculations and the 250mm square pits give a total dropoff edge of 2 metres which is 45% of the perimeter which seems way to high.
If I cut quarter circular pits and reduce the radius from 250 to 200 mm you still have 1.25 metres of dropoff which is 33% of the new perimeter.
Numbers like these are hard to visualise so here is a pictures of each type of pit with a few robots for scale.

Personally I prefer the curved ones as it gives more fighting area but we could go with the square ones and walls at the edges or even low walls along part of the dropoffs the possibilities are numerous.
There have been a few post since I started writing this one by the way what is NY's FTS.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

New York's Finest Taxi Service, which was Dave Lawrie's expanding ant at the last AWS (I suspect it'd still fit in those pits though!). I am slightly concerned for the scenarios in those pictures as it looks like the robots are being judged for some sort of serious crime...

Would there be any way to make the fighting surface interchangable?
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

Interesting developments. I'm definitely not telling you what you should do Peter, just giving more suggestions, but you could also consider only having two pits (could put diagonal walls in the other two to get around your dislike of corners), which might give you more options as to what you can do with the remaining two pits.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i'd be up for only two pits as i could still navigate my opponents into those well enough and spinners would be less likely to spin themselves out.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I'm definitely not telling you what you should do Peter
The idea of opening up this discussion is to get peoples ideas so don't worry about making suggestions.
It is never going to be possible to please everyone but the more comments people come up with the more likely we are to please the majority.
On the idea of two pits I hadn't thought of that but had wondered about two open pits and two with low walls for flippers.