2015 AWS Rule Debate?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: 2015 AWS Rule Debate?

Post by BeligerAnt »

The 2g measurement accuracy allowance can be inferred from rules 2a and 5d.
If the builder's and event organiser's scales are each accurate to +/-1g then an allowance of 2g must be made to allow for the worst-case difference in accuracies.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Thanks Gary, but no one mentioned that...
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

i did but then edited my message to say something else, you said that there was no unwritten rules and i thought that was one but as Gary has pointed out, it's not. it was just a question really anyway as i am after two years, still a noob :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

It is a bit irrelevant now as it has gone to a vote but I have never been in favour of using toys as robots but as other people including yourself Dave seemed to enjoy them I have never tried to stop them.
But I do believe now with the entrant numbers getting so high and the number of classes increasing would be a good time to ban them.
Having said that I am not sure how we decide when someone starts with a toy and modifies it in some way that it is sufficiently different to be useable.
I have no doubts that the change will be passed I just think we need to be seen to be democratic in all things.
I really am getting old, I sound more like my father every day.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Dan, you are far from noob.

And yes Peter, I was trying to word this last night but didn't get very far with it. Obviously using components from commercially available stuff is fine, but at what point do you judge it to be a significantly enough changed product to be allowed?
Take my nanoweight for example. It uses the guts of two former remote cars stitched back together. It is no longer a commercially available vehicle by any means, but originated there. I was trying to think of something like "components or elements of commercially available vehicles may still be used but must be significantly changed enough to qualify" but then what quantifies significant change? Is making a cardboard shell for a remote car a significant enough change from original purpose?
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

Hogi wrote:...still a noob :)
...He says with the current AWS fleaweight champion and second place in antweights :roll:

And regarding what counts as commercial or modified, I think it'll have to just be judged on a case by case basis... We don't have a huge amount of commercial vehicles entered as is, so we might get the occasional grey area but I don't think it'll ever be so many that it's a problem...
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

Rory and Dave: thanks! I will strive to maintain my titles and to better my robotic knowledge further so that maybe one day I too can do things like build cool walkers and make speed controllers for people :)

regarding the wording of the rule in question, I would say maybe something like this...

commercially available verhicles are not permitted with the exception of purpose built fighting robot kits however components or features of commercially available verhicles are acceptable provided the final product does not resemble the commercially available verhicle the components or features were taken from.

very wordy but might be along the desired lines.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Craig_Anto3

Post by Craig_Anto3 »

my perspective on the toys is neutral, use them dont use them I dont mind, main reason for my opposition at the AWS was because I lost to one so its immediately discounted. Not that any of that matters.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Yay Craig!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

clustering a nanoweight robot with a 125 gram ant is a lot more effective than a cluster composing a 130g ant and a hexbug anyway ( in my experience ). at antfreeze the nano actually contributed towards most of the fights my clusterbot won in one way or another apart from one particular fight where the nano ran out of juice half way through and got counted out. i lost that fight but i think the result would've been the same whether the nano had spontaneously fallen asleep or not. :) the hexbug on the other never contributed at all really, when i entered it i did it because i needed an extra part to make it a cluster so that i could enter transit ant as the fourth entry.

ps: welcome back Craig! :)
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights