Newbie needing info

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

kratos85

Newbie needing info

Post by kratos85 »

I was looking into getting into the sport. Right now im stuck between

Shockbots kit, BotBitz kit, FingerTechs Viper kit, and FingerTechs Flipper kit.

Was wondering if anyone had any videos or more info on them. I found some video of Shockbots and BotBitz kits in action and it seems there flippers are weak and can't lift another ant. As of right now im leaning toward http://www.fingertechrobotics.com/prodd ... rvo-combat but i can't find any video of this kit in action.

Just looking for info and ideas.
Hogi

Re: Newbie needing info

Post by Hogi »

hello and welcome to antweights. i would say go for the shockbots kit as it comes pre built and from what i've seen, the flipper on the latest model is quite capable of flipping an ant, it also comes with pretty much everything you need to get started in the sport ( transmitter and charger ). shockbots also do a grabber kit so that's another option you could possibly consider. shockbots kits are 3D printed which is a commonly used technique in antweights nowadays. that's about all i know about it but you could always drop Will an email. his email address is on the shockbots website i think.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
kratos85

Post by kratos85 »

Alright thanks for the reply Hogi, and yeah i tried youtube messaging him. I'll email him. Only concern i have for Shockbots kit is that the flipper you need to add more to the wedge yourself, and i havent seen any of his newer kids in action actually lifting a ant. I'll try youtube searching more on it.
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

Hi and welcome.
I would just point out that the fingertech ones are Canadian and likley to be American antweights which are three times the weight of British robots and unlikely to fit the 4 inch cube. Just looking at the drawing of the flipper on your link it is 8 inches long so way too big.
The extra bit on the front is just some acetate or mylar sheet to make the robot more likely to get under the opposition one and you will find that on nearly every competative robot, kit or scratch built, in british antweights.
Will who does the kits I seem to remember came first at the recent open event in Ants, Fleas and Nanos so the kits have a good pedigree.
If you want to contact him you could PM him on this forum as teamocean.
teamocean

Post by teamocean »

Hi, welcome to the forum.

I make the Shockbots kits and will happily answer any questions that you might have regarding them. Sorry for not replying via youtube- my linked email address is an old one which I no longer use. The best way to contact is either via the Shockbots site or on here.

As for the points you have already raised, the current flipper kit is more than capable of lifting an ant and the only addition that is needed is a small piece of acetate which can be attached to the flipper with glue or tape to make the ground clearance as low as possible. I have now sold around 15-20 of the newer style flipper kits with no reported issues as of yet.

If you have any more questions please ask and I'll try to answer them :)
Will Thomas
Team Shock
www.shockbots.co.uk
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Since you appear to be located in the USA, the FingerTech kit may better suit your needs. As Peter says, European antweights are 150g (about 6oz). US antweights are 1lb (454g) so a significantly different class. I believe 150g robots are known as "fairy weights" in the USA. Hope this helps.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
kratos85

Post by kratos85 »

Thanks for the reply and info guys! And Will I shall be emailing you or messaging you on this forum or your website about more info on your kits. I'll most likely send a message your way tomorrow when i wake up, it is currently 4am here so yeah.

Thanks again for the info guys! Helped alot.
TeamCrash

Post by TeamCrash »

Sorry to bring up an old post, but I have a Shockbot and all I needed to lift up an ant was a bit of acetate. So I would recommend those.
Team Crash- Robots:
Crash (Antweight)
RDR (Antweight)
The Not So Grim Reaper (Fleaweight, retired during construction)
Crash XL (Beetleweight, construction phase)