Cheap DC Motor Controller?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

AntRoboteer

Re: Cheap DC Motor Controller?

Post by AntRoboteer »

Right, I have decided to give the Baby Orangutan a go until AWS 46 at least but already I am kind of stuck. I was just wondering if there was a wiring schematic available for wiring it up to a reciever because, just looking at a bunch of holes and 2 letter names for each, I have no clue what should go where such as signal wires, power wires for receiver, battery etc. Thanks in advance to anybody who can help!
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

If you're looking for something cheap that works out the box, two of these ( http://www.aliexpress.com/item/F05427-R ... 23743.html ) will probably do you fine if you can do mixing on the transmitter (or you can buy a cheap V-tail mixer: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/V-Tail-Servo- ... 2344104cc0). They won't actually do 10A, but they'll run an antweight fine. They're not the smallest, but would easily fit in an ant with a little planning.
Last edited by Rapidrory on Tue Nov 11, 2014 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Signal wires depend on which code you use. It's usually on of the PC or PD pins. I think the Marto code uses PD0 and PD7. VIN connects to battery positive (red) and GND connects to negative (black).

VCC is 5v supply for your receiver. But I believe it's only rated for 100mah, so it won't power your servos. M1 and M2 are for your motors.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks for your useful relies. I have attempted to create a wiring diagram but I am not sure as to where the power comes out for the reciever so this has been left off. Could somebody point me towards the correct pins there please.

Also, could I use a 6v or 4.8v NiMH battery and connect that to it rather than a LiPo which I do not cuurently have. Is it possible to plug the battery into the receiver as I normally do and have the power wires coming through servo leads to the correct terminals or do I need to plug the battery in to the board itself? It would potentially be more practical to do it this way as I would have to wire less to the board and the receiver would cut out at a certain voltage (3.6v I think) so this would not need to be programmed and the battery monitor cable would not be required.

Thanks to anybody who can help here! I am very glad of your support!

The incomplete wiring diagram thing is attached:
Attachments
Baby O Wiring copy.jpg
Baby O Wiring copy.jpg (165.08 KiB) Viewed 8074 times
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Right, I think I've cracked it - that is if the battery and receiver share the same ground contact on the board.

Here is my revised and hopefully correct wiring diagram. Please tell me what you think (is it correct, pretty colours etc). Thanks!
Attachments
Baby O Wiring_b copy.jpg
Baby O Wiring_b copy.jpg (199.2 KiB) Viewed 7615 times
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

I think the wires to the battery and receiver you have marked as -5v should be 0v other wise you will be running you receiver from 10v.
Shakey

Post by Shakey »

Yeah the -5V should all be ground.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks for that - I did mean 0V or ground as you would call it. So can you use the ground pin for both the receiver and battery 0V wires? I think it would be possible as all components need to have a common ground but I' not sure. Is there another ground pin/hole/socket/something else that I am missing here or is that diagram basically accurate apart from the -5V labels. Thanks for your help!
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

All 0v or grounds within the robot would be connected together.