SG90 Speed Hacking

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

AntRoboteer

SG90 Speed Hacking

Post by AntRoboteer »

Hi all,

I was wondering if you could speed hack SG90 servos and if so, how long they would last (until servo boards died or motor failure) in combat.

Also, would they be as quick as 300rpm gear motors? I am also worried that they might lose their pushing power if speed hacked. Has anyboday had any experience with these servos or could reccomend any other suitable, cheap and light servos capable of being 360 modified and speed hacked?

Thanks in advance,

AntRoboteer
haz

Re: SG90 Speed Hacking

Post by haz »

Yes its easy to do. Just done a pair myself. They have no push whatsoever. Lots of speed. Well over 300rpm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv_iZJW ... 4Q0S0WUYrQ

I would recommend the metal geared versions, MG90 if you are set on servo drive. Oh, and tiny wheels. I'm using 14mm.
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. They look great! However, do you (or does anybody else) know how long they last until servo boards died or motor failure occurs?

Thanks again for your help!
haz

Post by haz »

Never had one of these die. Couple of other servo types burn out but that was more due to a voltage increase.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

With speed hacked servos, normally your gears will strip before anything burns out.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Thank you very much to you all! You have been a real help and I hope these servos shall now make an appearance in a couple of new robots (for clusters etc).

Thanks again!
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

I have tried speed hacking one of these to no avail. I really do not know how to do it properly. Does anybody else know how to speed hack these SG90s? Pictures would be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
haz

Post by haz »

Yeah I can probably help you out. I'll see if I can get some pictures or something for you. I've done a fair few of those (only real problem I think is the poundland glue coming unstuck on the gears)
AntRoboteer

Post by AntRoboteer »

Would it be gluing the 2nd and 4th gears and removing the third? Do you know if airfix glue or similar would work? Thanks!
shangalaing

Post by shangalaing »

Sorry to bring back this topic. What's the best way to glue the two gears together? I have tried with bog standard superglue but it's not sticking all that well.