Skipdiving Robotics

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

daveimi

Skipdiving Robotics

Post by daveimi »

Hi all, thought I would start a build thread for my ant weight robot. My name is Dave and have been fighting feathers for a while, fancied a go at an ant as it seems like a dead friendly crowd :D. I've just ordered the gear motor kit from the ant shop. It will probably just be a two wheel driver pusher to start with as that's all my feathers have been lol :D My five year old wanted to get stuck in so we're having a go. I use a lot of recycled bits like would, box section, bolts, old rc car batteries and everything. Just waiting for money to clear for ant kit and going to get stuck in! Pictures of feathers below just to give you an idea.

peterwaller

Re: Skipdiving Robotics

Post by peterwaller »

Hi Dave (that makes 3 Daves now) welcome to the Antweight forum.
As you say we are a friendly bunch and always keen to get new people joining.
It is also a good class for the younger roboteer so hopfully your son will enjoy it to.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Looks like we'll be right up your street, and judging from your feathers, me and you share a lot in common (not just a name!). Welcome, have fun!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Thanks for the replies! Yeah the ants look a lot more manageable for me, and you can sort of build a couple to try out weapon ideas and stuff. To build a couple of feathers gets more expensive by the time you've bought bigger batteries and ESC's and stuff. I've been reading through and there are some awesome ants! My feather's have never really achieved anything exciting other than getting battered lol.
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

Welcome Dave (and son)! We aim to be a friendly (and family-friendly) bunch. Pete's kit will get you started in the right direction and you will find there is plenty of scope for recycling all sorts of household materials into ants.
Hope to see you at an event in the not-too-distant future :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Definitely :) I'm hoping to get an ant build by the Autumn so can hopefully catch the next event if possible.
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Next event is in Coventry in late October or early November. Keep an eye on the events thread for all the details and how to sign up.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

welcome to the antweight community Dave. by all means come along to my event in late november time just to watch if you havn't finished building your competitor by then. i think a two wheel drive pusher is a good place to start. i did and to date my pusher outcompetes my armed robots. good luck and if you need any advise there are many wiilling to help on this forum.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

Cheers! Yeah we have a gear motor kit on order so will definitely try and be there in November! haven't been to a robot fighting event in nearly 12 months so desperate to get back to it!
daveimi

Post by daveimi »

My ant kit showed up! So plugged it all in and stuff to give it a whirl, all worked first time and Pete C even seems to have bound the radio gear! Also bought scales! My exciting life lol going to start building tonight after sketching random stuff for the last few days.