Tashic's ants

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

BeligerAnt

Re: Tashic's ants

Post by BeligerAnt »

I like your soldering method of building the frame, but the copper is quite heavy. You could remove the excess after soldering, either by etching or cutting it with a knife, heating it then peeling it off. Might save a couple of grams...
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Ciao!
Since the school holidays are approaching (Yes!), I decided to start the design of the new F3.
Before any building I want to move forward with the featherweight, but I have some ideas in mind:
because f2, as pretty as it is, is very weak in performance, so I would like to make something powerfull this time, by basically make a total rebuild, and use the previous parts for a flea (recycling part of the chassis for extra shiny).
The plan is making a spring powered flipper, but I'm not sure if the setup that I have in mind would work, and also the weight might be a problem (not something new in the end).
I will post the pictures when I'm at home, right now I'm at school, doing litteraly nothing, and waiting for android studio to load!
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Ciao Tashic! Nice to know you're making progress.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Here are the images:
You can see the external view, the mechanism inside retracted and extended, with the red line simulating the spring/rubber band.
It's not final yet, as I also need to work out how to release using the same motor arm.
I will use a a servo board for the motor, with the potentiometer attached to the motor arm, to convert it into a servo.
The motor is the 298:1 ones, and I will use two ESCs for the wheels, so one bec for the receiver and the other for the servo.
Thinking of increasing the angle of the flipper movement, as I don't think is enough, for self righting I need more force.
Should I make the top of the robot also part of the flipper?

Suggestions are welcome!
Attachments
Cattura5.PNG
Cattura5.PNG (19.82 KiB) Viewed 10233 times
Cattura4.PNG
Cattura4.PNG (19.66 KiB) Viewed 10233 times
Cattura3.PNG
Cattura3.PNG (51.72 KiB) Viewed 10233 times
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Sorry for not posting any updates, but I wanted to have a functioning flipper first.
Here it is:
IMG_3737.JPG
IMG_3737.JPG (190.39 KiB) Viewed 10133 times
IMG_3739.JPG
IMG_3739.JPG (160.37 KiB) Viewed 10133 times
IMG_3740.JPG
IMG_3740.JPG (194.52 KiB) Viewed 10133 times
I have a 298:1 gear motor, controlled by a servo board and it's potentiometer (black box with the potentiometer hot glued to it's side), that pulls the brass loop connected to the flipper, until the smaller brass loop on the base catch on the flipper.
then, the gear motor can move to the other side freely until the pin starts to move upwards instead of horizontally, and the loop on the flipper tilts and the little piece of brass on the left (in the third photo) pushes the catch down, releasing the flipper.
Hope the explanation makes sense...
The servo is powered by a 2 cell lipo, and it gets a little warm if used a lot, but nothing problematic.

The robot can self right if I put something under the back, so the flipper is flush with the ground.
I will post a video soon.

EDIT: video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_YjKY1 ... e=youtu.be
Roboteernat

Post by Roboteernat »

Now i do like these bots, nice engineering/soldering and mechanical stuffs not just 3d printed and plastic :)

I love these, remind me of my heavyweight bots days by looking at thise pics...

must get printing my new bot haha

Well done
Some projects done: Wirelessly controlled mechanical hand/arm
Heavyweight: Short Circuit
Antweight robot : Locking wheel nuts, dell-apidated bANTtry...
Featherweight : Wanna Choppa, CASPer
Check out http://www.Roboteernat.co.uk for more details
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

The build didn't really go according to plan, because of weight issues.
I had to remove large parts to make it less than 150g, and this is how it ended:
IMG_3896.JPG
IMG_3896.JPG (210.76 KiB) Viewed 10987 times
IMG_3897.JPG
IMG_3897.JPG (203.92 KiB) Viewed 10987 times
IMG_3899.JPG
IMG_3899.JPG (197.95 KiB) Viewed 10987 times
No armour on the back, exept for two strips to not let it rest helpless on it's back (if it gets stuck on the back, the torque of spinning the wheels is enought get back on the wheels).
Large chunks on the bottom have been taken out, especially where the battery and ESCs/rx are.
Also the flipper has glitches, the servo goes up and down by it's own, but only when the battery is fully charged, and doesn't last long.
I'm guessing that the servo that I took the electronics out wasn't intended for a fully charged LiPo.

Asside from these problems, the robot is reasonably fast, controllable and torquey, the flipper, even if is not very powerful, even for servo only flippers, is springy enough to flip easly my other two robots upside down and self right.
I probably going to get back to this robot, and try to put at least a back cover.

In many points F3 (this robot) is the polar opposite of it's predecessor.
F3 is better performance wise, but lacks protection, while F2 was made like a tank, but had just smallish servos for both drive and flipper (more like lifter), and wasn't very drivable, mostly because of the very wonky wheels being far back.

Guess F3 isn't completely a fail.

What do you think guys?
Occashokka

Post by Occashokka »

Better than what I've built! :p. no that would be harsh on you to compare you to my standards, I think it looks really good and I'm glad your Italian because if you came here i could add you to the list of amazing robots that I am in trouble if I'm drawn against.Great stuff dude.
Team Badger
Has a 3d printer now yay
-£4.82+VAT (intact)
-cool modulated printed thingy
-not yet built nasty mean spinnt thingy

I'm gonna build something huge and stupid, try and stop me :P
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

Thank you :)
I will eventually go back to this, somewhere I can lose weight for that back cover.
And I would really like to come there, but if I go to the UK, it will be for a feather competition, at least for the first trip.
Tashic

Post by Tashic »

I said I would come back to F3, and so I did!

Meet F3.1:
IMG_4187.JPG
IMG_4187.JPG (123.13 KiB) Viewed 10124 times
IMG_4188.JPG
IMG_4188.JPG (114.53 KiB) Viewed 10124 times
IMG_4189.JPG
IMG_4189.JPG (134.21 KiB) Viewed 10124 times
This time I decided to use the servo that Rory told me about, and it's pretty powerfull!
I's also very small, so I was able to have a much neater layout of all the components, keep the baseplate from becoming swiss cheese, and actually finish the armour on the back.

This time I decided to use some car rubber tubing for tyres, because rubber bands degrade easly and are easy to pull of the wheel.
The flipper now is about 1mm aluminium, I incorporated some HDPE into the structure, and some screws are m2.
Because of the rear horns, it takes a bit to self right, but I like them, so they remain!

Now is time to design a spinner 8)