Team 1202 Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Isioviel

Re: Team 1202 Build Diary

Post by Isioviel »

That is insane and beautiful and I can't wait for it to exist!
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

voorsk wrote: Wed Nov 07, 2018 9:25 am ooh - looks compilicated!

which way does it move? flat bit forward, or legs forward?
Yes...
\/ \/
Um My current thinking is the flat is the front with it walking sideways. Like a crab \00/
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Of weapons:

so been considering weapon systems for crabulon. As much is it is about form over function, I would like it to have a weapon system, as this is something I have lacked in previous robots.

I defiantly said at AWS 56 (along with saying the robot will be pink...) That Crabulon 2 would have a drum spinner and the earlier designs factored that in (I may yet use the other design for crabulon as another robot) but the bot as it is dost feel like a drum spinner would be right.

Now I have committed the cardinal sin here of considering the weapon system last. While I shall pray to the robot wars gods for forgiveness on this transgression I am forced to fit the weapon to the design now. And the long and short of it is that Crabulon 2 is not mobile enough to win a war of mobility.

One idea is to turret mount a weapon system. My early idea was to have a parasitic multibot where the turret was its own self contained robot that 'rode around' on top of the drive unit. While this sounds cool I do worry about weight (I worry about weight any way for this one). I think the current thinking is thus:

An Axe. Axes are cool, provided one waits for a good hit. I will probably run it of a N20. I will do one of three things regarding its set up:

Independent turret: as described above for true 360 rotation
Servo driven turret: easier at expense of weapon range.
Fixed. nice and easy at further expense of weapon range. Also could use a servo for this and run it of one ESC.

And I will end by saying writing this has made me think if Robototron may become a drum spinner....

stay tuned.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
MarkR

Post by MarkR »

Yes, run an axe off a N20, then it will be really impressive (even if not necessarily damaging).

I think Derek Dudge's Manticore used a N20 with a beating club containing a big nut, and it was amazing at AWS55.
Robots: Betsie - RaspberryPi controlled flipper bot with gyro stablisation - too clever for her own good?
Stacie - tidy flipper; 4wd driven by hair bands
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

A few more pictures

so this was the first version of Crabulon 2 to be almost complete:

I then finally got the test leg printed (will try post a vid of that). From that i decided I could get the mechanism better and from that designted a new version of crabulon 2.

This version dosnt look as nice (yet) but is much more modular which I do like. It also has the option to have various weapons modules. The 2nd version is more geared towards forward walking, where as the first version is about side to side walking.

I am awaiting a new test leg. if that works then I will get the crab printed.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Its been a while...

So a quick update on whats on the bot bench at the moment.

Robototron: I have built a super simple and solid 2WD pusher at the moment. its mainly a practice/ placeholder bot.

Boys Bot: Its a modular track driven lifter I have designed to be something my stepsons can play with. If its successful I may replace the pusher with a combat ready Boys bot as the new Robototron.

Crabulon: Working on a improved shufflebot like the debut blue one. I still intend to make a Klann linkage bot but that is taking a bit more time than Id like.

Huricianado: A spinner bot thats early in the works.

OAF: Think I have cracked how to have a power switch on OAF that allows it to be externally turned on. OAF will be a very different bot internally now and hopefully will serve as a test bed for a beetle or featherweight version.

Hoping to have OAF, Crabulon and Robototron at AWS 58.

In addition I have a few plans for the Aquatic Ants in September:

Row-boat-a-tron: currently plating around with magnetic coupling ideas for this. will say more when I have a bot.

H2OAF: once OAF is working I am going to try make a floating shell to allow it to operate as a floating ant.

I shall post more and pics when I have progress to report.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)