Team 1202 Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Remote-Controlled Dave

Re: Team 1202 Build Diary

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

It doesn't matter. You'd be surprised how little damage a thick card robot like that can take, providing it wins the battle before it takes a battering. If a spinner is given chance to rip into it it'll be all over the arena, but that's not necessarily the way things go!
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

My philosophy is that even if my first bot is vaporised (now that be a epic spinner) that what ive learned and will learn will serve me well in the next bot. I get the the feeling good bots are as much about evolution as design.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I think that's a very good philosophy. Your electronics are rarely damaged from spinner hits in ant weights; the fight usually ends after the first effective hit which takes out your chassis and nothing else. So as long as the chassis is low cost and fairly simple, you should be able to rebuild something pretty quick if necessary! It also helps loads to watch the other robots competing, and see what designs do well and what doesn't; the amount you can learn just from going to an event is huge.
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Agreed. After the AWS you'll learn so much. I've lost a good few motors to spinners, but rarely electronics.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

If your expensive electronics are suddenly looking vulnerable you can always surrender. ;)

I did lose a receiver once (forgot to surrender in time!) and I have seen a couple of batteries destroyed. However, you are extremely unlikely to lose all your electronics in one go. Even the most "destroyed" robots probably don't cost more than about £20 in replacement parts to rebuild. Lucky we don't cost our time though! :)

Go for it, you'll be surprised what a robot can stand up to. And if it all gets too much, run away! :D
Gary, Team BeligerAnt
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Very true, I've lost lots of wheels and had chassis smashed to pieces and lots of wires cut, but never lost a battery, speedo, receiver or servo yet. And so far only had to surrender once (Katjuscha at AWS 21)!

And make sure you make the most of the warm up. Good driving counts for as much as your design.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Hey all

Had a great time at the aws brize. Will be posting some pictures of before and after but safe to say that Robototron mk2 is being retired now. But planning has commenced for the next already. Lessons have been learned...
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I still feel bad for smashing up Robototron mk2 with Flail Whale :L Was a good fight though :)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Dont feel bad. It was a visualy spectacular fight. And now i have an excuse to build more and better bots.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Before Picture

Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)