Team 1202 Build Diary

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

bitternboy

Re: Team 1202 Build Diary

Post by bitternboy »

Its awesome! So neat and well designed.
Agreed, quite an impressive build standard right there :)
I can't tell from the picture but do the wheels touch the ground when it's balanced on it's end?
If it could get stuck there it would be an annoying way to leave a fight :-?
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

It did till i added the back plate. Now it dose sit there!

I will be adding some bodywork to avoid this. Or cut back some body to let the wheels roll again.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
dcr raptor

Post by dcr raptor »

Just stick a couple of nails to the back of the robot, it'll solve your problem and also give you a bit more offensive capability.
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

Post 4:

A few new pics

Added a rear skid and guards. Also sorted the lid
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

as The AWS in brize is drawing close, What spares/ tools would you recommend a newbie turns up to the event with?
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

I just turn up with all my robot parts plus all the tools I can carry... still usually forget the one thing I'll end up needing! But I'd say duct tape, glue, spare armour... basically anything needed to rebuild your bot... :P Other than that just don't forget your charger, Lipo bag and transmitter and you should be alright. Though I always find that if you forget/ need something you don't have, there'll nearly always be someone willing to lend you the right bits.

On a side note, if you don't have it already, I'll reiterate what I said before; you could do with some spinner proof armour on your bot somewhere to take the brunt of the blows, otherwise your robot's life could end up being unfortunately short! (To give you an idea of why, inertia will be competing this time! http://youtu.be/9YUkJgi2KLs)
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

The best tactic with spinners is don't be scared! No point trying to spinner-proof a robot. Good driving is as good a substitute.

And just bring the basics. There'll always be people to beg, borrow and steal off, as well as people willing to help fix robots.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Spaceman

Post by Spaceman »

I dont have a lipo bag yet. Is it special?

Going to take my chances spinner wise this time. Unless I get time to shed some weight... and some off my robot too.
Team 1202

Robototron (Flipper)
Crabulon (Walker)
Rapidrory

Post by Rapidrory »

They're a fire proof bag that you need in case your Lipo goes up in smoke. You should ideally charge your Lipo in the lipo sack, as that's when it's most likely to go. Although I know people who have competed without one, the rules state that you need one.

They're not very expensive: http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... 23_cm.html is the one I use, though most people use ones more like http://www.hobbyking.co.uk/hobbyking/st ... _Sack.html There's not much difference between the two though for antweight batteries.
You can find them on ebay easily enough as well, though not quite as cheap...

How much weight do you have left? you would only need about a 2 cm high strip of something like 2mm aluminium or 1-2 mm polycarbonate across the front of your robot... otherwise just bring a lot of spare PVC foam and some glue :P
Rory Mangles - Team Nuts

Robots: Nuts 2 and many more...

NanoTwo Motor Controllers: https://nutsandbots.co.uk/product/nanotwodualesc
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

I thought it was just the FRA rules that state that you need a lipo bag? I can't see anything in the latest version of the AWS rules, or am I just missing something? I've competed with lipos since AWS 18 and only bought a lipo bag in the past 12 months. I'd say they're advisable, but as far as I'm aware, they're not necessary.

And as Dave said, don't worry too much about spinner proofing. There was only a handful of decent spinners at the last AWS. Plus good armour won't stop you flying out of the arena. Again, I'd day good armour is desirable, but not essential.

As for tools/spares, I always bring way too many, but I'd say essentials are soldering iron, spare wheels, wire, plugs, spare weapon servo, tape (gaffer and cello), screwdrivers, pliers, stanley knife, hacksaw, scissors, super glue, hot glue & spare armour. There's not much that can't be fixed with the above. Also, seems silly but don't forget your transmitters, charger and robots. I've left a robot behind on more than one occasion!