new non roller antweight?

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

Re: new non roller antweight?

Post by Hogi »

sorry to keep chopping and changing my mind guys, but after consulting my mum, we decided that it might be best for me to start small. so i think i will go for a modified servo roller pusher after all, still might include the axe if theres enough room and weight left. does anyone know anywhere that sells good servo wheels for the antweight sized servos. also, does pollycarbonate provide better protection than hdpe? i want to make the robot completely spinner proof. thanks very much for all the help and encouragement, it is much apreciated. :D
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
BeligerAnt

Re: new non roller antweight?

Post by BeligerAnt »

Can't help much with sources of wheels as I usually make my own!

With regard to HDPE vs Polycarb' both are pretty good at antweight scale.

HDPE is slightly less dense therefore lighter for the same amount of material.

Both are easy to cut, drill and shape with hand tools, thin sheets can be cut with scissors, a small hacksaw is fine for thicker sheets.

Both are quite difficult to join. Almost nothing will stick to HDPE, you have to use nuts and bolts or weld it. Polycarbonate is also difficult to stick, but epoxy resin will work (although you have to roughen the surface well first). Cyanoacrylate (super-glue) will stick to polycarb but will weaken it over time.

You can tap a thread in polycarb' - HDPE doesn't work so well with the fine threads used at antweight size. Small self-tapping screws can also be used in polycarb'

Both can be folded by hand, although HDPE does have a habit of trying to straighten itself out! Polycarb' does too but not to such an extent.

For standing up to spinners, shape is more important than material. Flat sides and exposed square corners are bad, sloping surfaces help to deflect the blows. Alternatively, put very heavy armour on one side and make sure you always keep that side towards the spinners! :)
Gary, Team BeligerAnt