Hello from a newbie!

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

lukeo

Hello from a newbie!

Post by lukeo »

Hello everyone.
I went to the Brighton Mini Maker Faire last month with the eldest of my 2 sons. It was a great event and the thing we liked most was the antweight display. On the train back we discussed making one ourselves and he drew some designs, mostly involving saws and heat seeking missiles, but then he is only 7.

I ordered most of the parts from the shop (thanks to PeteC) and got myself a transmitter and receiver. I haven't any experience with RC and my electronics is pretty ropey but I'm starting to assemble it now and managed to bind it and now have a platform which goes backwards and forwards, left and right, so we're on the right track!

Hoping to make it to AWS42, so had a look at signing up in the hope that we have something by then, but we don't have a name yet (if I leave it up to the boys it will probably end up being called stinkybum, or worse) and as for the frequency I haven't a clue (I bought a Spektrum transmitter and compatible receiver). So do I need to enter this or is it not important?

Luke
EpicentrE

Re: Hello from a newbie!

Post by EpicentrE »

Luke,

Hello to you and your son, and welcome to the forum! I can promise you that Stinkybum would not be the worst robot name I've seen...

The 'frequency' section of the form is from when we used to use RC systems which could clash if we didn't all run on different frequencies. This problem is mostly eliminated nowadays as almost every robot runs on 2.4ghz equipment (such as the Spektrum stuff), so you can either enter 2.4ghz or just leave it blank.

Don't hesitate to ask if you need help with anything else, we're all very friendly here :).

I look forward to seeing you at the AWS!
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Hiya and welcome to the world of antweights! :)

The signups aren't set in stone, so I wouldn't worry much if you sign up and then the robot's name or how many you're taking changes - it's accepted that these things happen and the draw for the World Series usually happens on the day to allow for last minute dropouts and additions.

Good luck with the build, if you've got to the point of having something move both left and right you're doing better than I managed for my first few months of competing :)
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
lukeo

Post by lukeo »

I've signed us up to AWS42 as TBA until we can decide on a name other than a character from Octonauts. :-?
I'm planning on making a flipper, so I've now got to work out linkages and how I will fit it all in. If I run out of time it will temporarily be a rambot.

One thing I am finding a bit weird is which stick to control it with. The transmitter (a Spektrum Dx4e) is Mode 2 and my brother-in-law who flies RC helicopters (and will be a part time member of the team) told me I should control all movements using the left stick, leaving the right to control the flipper.
So far though after various combinations of plugs to pins the only way I can control all movements with one stick is with the right one. This seems to work fine, but isn't what I was planning. Am I doing something obviously wrong? Incidentally, the drives are modified servos that I'm plugging directly into the receiver.
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

Various transmitters are factory set at a certain 'mode'. Your transmitter is Mode 2 (elevator and Aileron function both on the right stick). What your brother in law has is Mode 4 (those functions on the left stick). If your robot has a V tail mixer, you can mix together any combination of channels you wish, but the 'mix' switch on the controller will only ever mix the 2 functions on the right stick.

It's a matter of preference for a lot of people; I altered my Mode 2 Spektrum DX5e into a Mode 1 (forward and back on the left, side-to-side on the right) because that was my preference. I think most roboteers drive 1 stick on the right, but you drive it however is comfortable for you (I only know 2 people that drive on a mode 4).
lukeo

Post by lukeo »

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll keep with steering it on the right, it works for me.