Jack's Projects

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Team Orr

Jack's Projects

Post by Team Orr »

*cue 2001 space odyssey instrumental*

Salutations chums. I'm pleased to report that, for now, my exams are over. With some time on my hands I've decided to get back into the swing of things and get my robot bits sorted out.

I carried out a damage report of sorts earlier today. I'm afraid the outlook is somewhat bleak. When we converted the workshop into a recording studio a lot of stuff got packed into boxes and it appears some of it has gone walkies. This includes most of my GiantCod transmitters (is that even a thing anymore? I'm so behind the times) and a few robots such as Valiant and myself/Haz's glorious attempt at a "quick, we need an ant!" arrangement (complete with Pringle wheels- those were the days). However I have managed to salvage many other miscellaneous parts which I'm sure I can put to good use. I haven't heard of any dramatic changes to technology. Are there many servo powered robots still kicking around? A lot of my more recent stuff is motorised but if I do find valiant you can add one more to that list.

Making the upcoming AWS is probably unlikely but it would be great to see you guys again. So the aim is to get 3 working antweghts ready for the latter part of this year. Photos and stuff will be put up here.

I've also attached a picture of my currently active antweights. These were made by Josh yonks ago for a televised event that seems to have been indefinitely postponed due to financial issues. I'm not entirely certain about their longevity as they were mostly designed with one outing in mind, but they exist. So here they are.
46074_10200274062917840_1053132438_n.jpg
46074_10200274062917840_1053132438_n.jpg (38.29 KiB) Viewed 7479 times
Jack
"if it wasn't for Edison we'd be watching TV by candlelight"
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Re: Jack's Projects

Post by haz »

Welcome back Jack. Its nice to see that someone could concentrate on their exams... with me they came second place to robot building :P
Got to say, love that disc!
alasdair

Post by alasdair »

That disc is going to haunt my nightmares
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

I hope you find Dynamite Beater...I mean, Valliant.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Dave: I completely forgot that was a thing. Cheers!

Found Valiant after a lot of lifting. It has some damage that I vaguely remember came courtesy of Mr Waller but nothing I can't handle. Just need to find a few more of those tiny RX battery packs as they got lightly mauled at the last RFRC. I also found parts of my autonomous sparring robots and Flamboyant if anybody remembers that...

Quick question: I distantly remember somebody utilising those RC cars that could climb up vertical surfaces by adapting them into suction pads. Did that work in the end? I have a few ideas where that could come in handy.

Jack
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

Dynamite vs Valiant was the antweight equivalent of Tornado vs Diotior.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
Team Orr

Post by Team Orr »

Since I'm parting ways with a few of my bigger robots I now have more time and resources to focus on ants, which is really where the heart lies. Bit of a team update. My mate from college Joseph Montagu is now a part of the team, replaceing my poor family who I'm sure are rather weathbeaten after being dragged to so many events. Joe is a master of all things electronical (or vertical- longboarder) and I'm sure he'll fit right in.

On the robot front, I have decided to reuse the names "Deathbed: the bed that eats" for the new spinner (to quote Mr Lawrie: "that is quite possibly the worst spinner I have ever seen") and "Flamboyant" for the flipper. For those who don't remember, the original deathbed was entered as a fleaweight, but thanks to some very dodgy scales it ended up weighing 149g :oops: The design may have improved... slightly over the years but it still seemed apt to reuse such a fantastic name. The original Flamboyant was bought from Craig Danby as some sort of suicidal orange blur, but was quickly cannibalised for parts after back to back run in's with Variant and Combatant.

I've also decided to finally retire the original antweight version of Valiant. Despite being easily the most competitive and consistent member of the team, recently it's been clogging up a valuable space, and I have other plans. However fear not, since it only weighs 80g I've decided to modify it and enter it as a fleaweight under the guise "Valium". The "Valiant" name shall be resurrected in my new antweight, this time motorised and with a viable weapon. I don't know if anybody knows the American robot Shazbot from team Nightmare but its going to look like that (hopefully).
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (38.63 KiB) Viewed 7358 times
Last edited by Team Orr on Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack Orr
Team Orr Robotics
haz

Post by haz »

All sounds good.. lets see if you can make a fleaweight weigh less than your antweights this time :P