My first robot

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

haz

Re: My first robot

Post by haz »

Image is a bit small. Maybe try uploading your photos to somewhere like Photobucket then resizing them and copying the IMG onto here.
Well done though, does it drive yet?
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

bitternboy

Post by bitternboy »

Looks great :D If your going for a flipper though, consider moving the weapon servo further back so as to maximise the length of the arm. If you do it right you'll end up with a flipper as opposed to a lifter which is always more fun :)
Jonathan Atkinson
Before you criticize another person, first walk a mile in their shoes. Then, when you critisize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

Haha I though the same about the arm and swaped the servo with the batteries so the servo is now right at the back :D
I've made a card version on the robot to show the shape of the finished robot the arm seams to raise the flipper pretty high
Jordanmann

Post by Jordanmann »

I came up with a name for my robot it's called Capricorn is that a ok name?
Rhys

Post by Rhys »

Sorry for continuing a bit off-topic, but as per the conversation above, the HPF X has just come into stock at HK after a 3 month wait. I just ordered a couple, I'd grab them now if you're in need of them.
Sportball

Post by Sportball »

Joey wrote:Make sure you have good traction with the ground, enough ground clearance to be able to drive off wedges should you be got underneath, and a low front to get under other robots
Hi Joey, are you saying you shouldn't design a robot with very little ground clearance? I see what you mean but I have always thought to go low to prevent flippers getting under. Maybe I need to rethink!
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

My experience is generally that wedges will get under you if they want to get under you (a lot of people use acetate to get as low a front edge as possible) so the approach I prefer to take is to have a low front, but enough clearance to ensure that the robot can be tipped back quite a bit and not lose traction against the ground, to allow you to get off a wedge or flipper if you end up on one!

Good driving is generally your best weapon against flippers, in the absence of something to rip the flipper off - being grounded is generally how you lose the fight against them, by getting stuck on the flipper so you can't get off and can be positioned so the flip will get you off the edge.
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"