antweight and super antweight crushers

All things antweight

Moderators: BeligerAnt, petec, administrator

Hogi

antweight and super antweight crushers

Post by Hogi »

at antweight world series 40 I realised there were loads of pushers, flippers, spinners and a couple of axes but I don't think I saw many if any crushers. I know there are two types of crushers. pincers like heavyweight can opener and crushing arms like razer and Tiberius four. I have read before that the reason ant crushers are rare is because it's difficult to get them within the size and weight limits but I thought a super antweight crusher might not be so difficult. if the comitee ever resurrect the super ant event at the aws I might try to build a super ant crusher.
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
Shakey

Re: antweight and super antweight crushers

Post by Shakey »

The reason crushers aren't around is because it is virtually impossible to get enough power into an antweight package to actually crush. It simply takes a much greater force than an antweight can exert.
Nuts And Bots - For all your components and ready built antweights!

Alex Shakespeare - Team Shakey / Nuts And Bots / Team Nuts:
AWS 44, 45, 49, 51 & 55 Winner - Far too many robots!
razerdave

Post by razerdave »

I think doing an antweight crusher is do-able, you can get hydraulics into ants, been done before. I think a high torque gear motor and screw thread is the simplest way to get a good bite.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Pneumatics would be quite easy to do - you can get 5-6kg of force out of model aircraft landing gear cylinders which would be enough to go through, or at least into, HDPE and 3D printing material on a sharp tip. You'd need to dedicate a fair bit of weight to the mechanism though, to make sure it'd not rip itself apart!

The main use of 'crushers' at ant level is to clamp, which is what Anteater and Antidisestablishmentarianism's raison d'etre was, as that just needs a servo and something to clamp against (be it another arm or a wedge).
Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
Remote-Controlled Dave

Post by Remote-Controlled Dave »

There have been several successful antweight crushers. Former champions Close Shave and Lower, a version of Resurrected, up to the current version of MAntis, which has a very nasty pincer. No chance of SuperAnts coming back though, that was a weight class too far. It started as a way to try help newcomers but ended when people just entered their ants with a bigger battery or heavier disc, thus making it entirely pointless.
Die Gracefully Robotics
Winner - AWS 39
EpicentrE

Post by EpicentrE »

razerdave wrote:I think doing an antweight crusher is do-able, you can get hydraulics into ants, been done before. I think a high torque gear motor and screw thread is the simplest way to get a good bite.
When? I don't recall any ant with hydraulics?

I've considered this before, and I actually think it wouldn't be too hard to make a robot with a claw that went to a point that was able to pierce 1-2mm polycarb or HDPE. But then your gameplan becomes "try to destroy a battery or a piece of electronics", and I wouldn't want to do that to someone. I wouldn't complain if it was done to me, but it's just not how I fight.
Scott Fyfe-Jamieson, Captain of Epic Robotics. Champion of AWS38/41/42.
http://www.epicrobotics.co.uk
Hogi

Post by Hogi »

I think once thunder has been completed i'll do another robot called piranha attack and that'll either be an axe, spinner of crusher. hogi, territorial and thunder are all either pushers or lifters. I think I will eventually move onto to something with a weapon actually designed to damage it's opponents. the only down side I see with a servo powered crusher is the twenty second pin rule. might not be enough time to shove opponents out of the arena. what happens if I crusher drives out of the ring while holding or pinning an opponent? who would win then or would the judges make a decision on the fight so far or would they both be placed back in the arena like it says in one of the other rules?
Daniel Jackson.

Team Hectic.

Many antweights

Super antweights: territorial.

Fleaweights: fleadom fighter, gaztons.

Featherweights: hectic (under construction)
peterwaller

Post by peterwaller »

There was a hydraulic ant in the early days called feable built by Alex the chap who had Leigion the cluster in the RobotWars Extreme 1 antweight event.
The only things I can remember was it leaked a lot of cooking oil and lived up to its name.
joey_picus

Post by joey_picus »

Joey McConnell-Farber - Team Picus Telerobotics - http://picus.org.uk/ - @joey_picus
"These dreams go on when I close my eyes...every second of the night, I live another life"
BeligerAnt

Post by BeligerAnt »

peterwaller wrote:There was a hydraulic ant in the early days called feable built by Alex the chap who had Leigion the cluster in the RobotWars Extreme 1 antweight event.
The only things I can remember was it leaked a lot of cooking oil and lived up to its name.
I thought it was Richard Thompson (Tomo) who built both Feeble(?) - the first and only hydraulic ant, and Legion - the first antweight cluster. Quite some achievement back in the days of NiCd batteries and 40MHz R/C gear 8)

The pinning/holding rule does apply, but 20 seconds is quite a long time in an antweight battle. If both robots leave the arena together it's down to the judges to decide who went out first. If one is pushing/carrying the other, then clearly the one being pushed must leave the arena first and therefore be the loser.
Gary, Team BeligerAnt